Weird high-pitched noise while not playing back

Hello everyone,

I’ve just managed to install Ardour on Linux, but I’ve ran into a problem: As soon as I add a track to my project, the speakers start emitting a strange high-pitched tone.

It is quite loud, and not a constant tone. It also seems to fluctuate if I type or click. I attempted to record it using PulseAudio, but it would just register as no sound.

Also, if I start playback on Ardour, the noise immediately stops.

I’m quite new to audio on Linux, so I have no idea of how to configure stuff outside of following basic guides. I might just have messed up some configuration.

Anyway, if anyone has any idea what might be causing this, I’d be very thankful for the help! :slight_smile:

Are you using the internal soundcard on a laptop with an internal mic (most laptops with a built-in webcam have one) and monitoring turned on in Ardour? If so, this setup may be creating feedback. Try disabling the internal mic.

As it turns out, that was just it. I turned the mic volume down to 0 and now it works fine. Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

I guess its feedback noise. If you disable the “IN” button at the track you should be fine.
Go to preferences -> Audio and set “Connect track inputs” to “manually”.

I have ardour set let hardware do monitoring.

If you want software monitoring the newer versions of ardour have an IN button on the tracks that allow you to monitor through ardour if you want.

If your using a laptop the internal mic can cause issues, open up alsa mixer and change the capture source from mic to line.

side note, internal sound cards tend to be pretty poor especially on older motherboards and laptops. Ive measured the frequency response of them and its far from flat not to mention all the system noise it picks up that is both in the audible range and inaudabile range.