Weird fonts OS X 10.4 and Ardour 2

Found 1 post regarding this problem, but no answer… :frowning:

Mach kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.0: Thu Feb 22 20:54:07 PST 2007; root:xnu-792.17.14~1/RELEASE_PPC
Kernel configured for up to 2 processors.
2 processors are physically available.
Processor type: ppc7450 (PowerPC 7450)
Processors active: 0 1
Primary memory available: 1.75 gigabytes
Default processor set: 102 tasks, 300 threads, 2 processors
Load average: 0.41, Mach factor: 1.58

Installed JACK and Ardour 2, started jackd, started Ardour, X11 starts, Ardour starts - but all letters are rectangles.


XFree86 Version 4.4.0 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
[DRI] screen 0 installation complete
Screen 0 added: 4352x1200 @ (-1280,0)
Screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
bash: no job control in this shell
Ardour/GTK 2.0
(built using 1745 and GCC version 4.0.0 20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061))
Copyright © 1999-2007 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright © Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker

This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
Loading ui configuration file /Volumes/usrX/audio applications/
Error reading Pango modules file

(ardour:19416): Pango-WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically
loaded modules were found. Pango will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
You should create this file by running pango-querymodules.

(ardour:19416): Pango-WARNING **: pango_shape called with bad font, expect ugly output

(ardour:19416): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_glyph_extents called with bad font, expect ugly output
theme_init() called from internal clearlooks engine
loading system configuration file /Volumes/usrX/audio applications/
loading user configuration file /Volumes/usrX/audio applications/
ardour: [INFO]: Apple VecLib H/W specific optimizations in use
ardour: [INFO]: looking for control protocols in /Volumes/usrX/zeitkind/.ardour2/surfaces/:/Volumes/usrX/audio applications/
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: “Generic MIDI”
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: “Mackie”
ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol Tranzport not usable

(ardour:19416): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_metrics called with bad font, expect ugly output
loading bindings from /Volumes/usrX/audio applications/

(ardour:19416): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_font_map called with bad font, expect ugly output

(ardour:19416): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_cairo_font_map_get_renderer: assertion `PANGO_IS_CAIRO_FONT_MAP (fontmap)’ failed

(ardour:19416): Pango-WARNING **: _pango_cairo_font_install called with bad font, expect ugly output

(ardour:19416): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_cairo_font_map_get_renderer: assertion `PANGO_IS_CAIRO_FONT_MAP (fontmap)’ failed

Last message repeats 30x.
I checked for the missing modules:

/opt/local/etc/pango # ls -al
total 40
drwxr-xr-x 5 root admin 170 May 1 14:01 .
drwxrwxr-x 6 root admin 204 Sep 18 2006 …
-rw-r–r-- 2 root admin 2527 Sep 18 2006 pango.modules
-rw-r–r-- 2 root admin 195 Sep 18 2006 pangorc
-rw-r–r-- 2 root admin 11446 Sep 18 2006 pangox.aliases



Pango Modules file

Automatically generated file, do not edit

ModulesPath = /opt/local/lib/pango/1.5.0/modules

/opt/local/lib/pango/1.5.0/modules/ ArabicScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc arabic:*
/opt/local/lib/pango/1.5.0/modules/ BasicScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc armenian:* bopomofo:* cherokee:* coptic:* cyrillic:* deseret:* ethiopic:* georgian:* gothic:* greek:* han:* hiragana:* katakana:* latin:* ogham:* old-italic:* runic:* canadian-aboriginal:* yi:* braille:* cypriot:* limbu:* osmanya:* shavian:* linear-b:* ugaritic:* glagolitic:* cuneiform:* phoenician:* common:
/opt/local/lib/pango/1.5.0/modules/ TibetanScriptEngineFc PangoEngineShape PangoRenderFc tibetan:*

/opt/local/lib/pango/1.5.0/modules # ls

Now I’m a little bit lost…

I get the same issue with 2.0 on OS X 10.4.8 too.

Could both of you please let me know what local language setting(s) you are using, and if they are not english, could you please (temporarily) try switching to english?

I have some recollection that there is a bug in some versions of OS X with some language settings that prevents Pango (the fonr rendering infrastructure that we use) from working correctly.

It happens in both french and english settings for me.

And i don’t really think it’s Pango’s fault only, since Gimp and inkscape work fine on the same machine.

it is the same for me

happened in both italian and english

iBook G4 1.42
OS 10.4.9

German and English

This is weird…if I mount the image and run Ardour 2.0 from the mounted image, the fonts render correctly. If I copy the files to “Applications” and then run from there, I get rectangles. English, MacOSX 10.4.9 on Intel Macbook Pro.

It happens because you’re running Ardour from a path containing spaces.

thank you, Auria! i was about to send a post reporting that i also was having this problem . . . but your preemptive reply removed that necessity. thanks again.

Thanks! That was it. I did have spaces in the folder’s name; removing the spaces fixed the issue.

we have a fix for this that will appear in 2.0.1, to be released this week. to track this issue, please see #1340 in the issue tracker.