VST installation for ArdourVST

How do I install VST plugins into ArdourVST?
The plugins I want are not in the repositories.
I am using Ubuntu Dream Studio 10.10.
I am new to Linux, coming from Windows XP.
Thanks

See answer #3 here : http://ardour.org/node/4352

I tried the “export VST_PATH=~?VST ; ardourvst” instructions listed above by copying and pasting the command, and got no results.
There were about 30 lines of text in the terminal window, with a lot of “no such folder’ and “folder does not exist” lines.
I then logged on as “root” and tried to create a vst folder in usr/lib/ and even though the owner was listed as root, the “create a new folder” was greyed out.
I then made a copy of the VST folder on the desktop, and tried to drag it into the lib folder. I got the message " the VST folder cannot be copied because you do not have permissions to create it in the destination”.
So what do I do next?

I’m assuming the ~?VST is a typo in this post; it should be ~/VST or alternatively /home/istiver/VST (assuming your login on the computer is istiver and you have created the VST directory in your home directory and put the vst dlls there)

To create a /usr/lib/vst directory the easiest way is probably to run
sudo mkdir /usr/lib/vst in a terminal and then
sudo cp /home/istiver/VST/* /usr/lib/vst (again assuming a /home/istiver/VST directory with the vst dlls residing there)

If you still cant get it to work please paste the result of
ls -la ~/VST ; ls -la /usr/lib/vst here. And also the 30 lines the ardourvst command prints.

~?VST was a typo, but that is not what I used. I copied and pasted the command.
Your new instructions have enabled me to create the vst folder in the lib folder.
Now I still can’t copy the plugin. My user name is louis.
The VST folder that contains the plugin is located in the folder “louis”
Here is the info I think you asked for;

louis@louis-GA-MA69G-S3H:~$ sudo su

root@louis-GA-MA69G-S3H:/home/louis# ls -la ~/VST ; ls -la /usr/lib/vst

ls: cannot access /root/VST: No such file or directory

total 72

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-05-13 13:53 .

drwxr-xr-x 264 root root 69632 2011-05-13 13:53 …

root@louis-GA-MA69G-S3H:/home/louis#

louis@louis-GA-MA69G-S3H:~$ ardourvst

/usr/share/themes/Dream Light/gtk-2.0/apps/nautilus.rc:10: error: invalid string constant “notebook_button”, expected valid string constant

Ardour 2.8.11

(built using 7387 and GCC version 4.4.3)

Copyright © 1999-2008 Paul Davis

Some portions Copyright © Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it

under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.

Cannot install SIGPIPE error handler

loading default ui configuration file /usr/local/etc/ardour2/ardour2_ui_default.conf

loading user ui configuration file /home/louis/.ardour2/ardour2_ui.conf

Loading ui configuration file /usr/local/etc/ardour2/ardour2_ui_dark.rc

theme_init() called from internal clearlooks engine

ardour: [INFO]: Ardour will be limited to 1024 open files

loading system configuration file /usr/local/etc/ardour2/ardour_system.rc

loading user configuration file /home/louis/.ardour2/ardour.rc

Startup win32 GUI thread

ardour: [INFO]: Using SSE optimized routines

ardour: [ERROR]: LADSPA: cannot load module “/usr/lib/ladspa/adenv_lvl.so” (/usr/lib/ladspa/adenv_lvl.so: undefined symbol: log)

ardour: [ERROR]: LADSPA: cannot load module “/usr/lib/ladspa/hz_voct_4200.so” (/usr/lib/ladspa/hz_voct_4200.so: undefined symbol: logf)

ardour: [ERROR]: LADSPA: cannot load module “/usr/lib/ladspa/dahdsr_fexp.so” (/usr/lib/ladspa/dahdsr_fexp.so: undefined symbol: log)

ardour: [ERROR]: LADSPA: cannot load module “/usr/lib/ladspa/power_4400.so” (/usr/lib/ladspa/power_4400.so: undefined symbol: powf)

ardour: [ERROR]: LADSPA: cannot load module “/usr/lib/ladspa/vocoder.so” (/usr/lib/ladspa/vocoder.so: undefined symbol: pow)

ardour: [ERROR]: LADSPA: cannot load module “/usr/lib/ladspa/dahdsr_hexp.so” (/usr/lib/ladspa/dahdsr_hexp.so: undefined symbol: log)

ardour: [INFO]: detecting VST plugins along /usr/local/lib/vst:/usr/lib/vst

ardour: [INFO]: looking for control protocols in /home/louis/.ardour2/surfaces/:/usr/local/lib/ardour2/surfaces/

ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol Tranzport not usable

ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: “Mackie”

ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: “Generic MIDI”

ardour: [ERROR]: ControlProtocolManager: cannot load module “/usr/local/lib/ardour2/surfaces//libardour_wiimote.so” (libcwiid.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

powermate: Opening of powermate failed - No such file or directory

ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol powermate not usable

Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property GtkButton::default-border' of typeGtkBorder’ from rc file value “((GString*) 0x78e82340)” of type `GString’

Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property GtkButton::default-border' of typeGtkBorder’ from rc file value “((GString*) 0x78df7b60)” of type `GString’

Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property GtkButton::default-border' of typeGtkBorder’ from rc file value “((GString*) 0x74f10cc0)” of type `GString’

Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property GtkButton::default-outside-border' of typeGtkBorder’ from rc file value “((GString*) 0x78df5490)” of type `GString’

Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property GtkButton::default-outside-border' of typeGtkBorder’ from rc file value “((GString*) 0x78def7b0)” of type `GString’

louis@louis-GA-MA69G-S3H:~$

You shouldn’t run the ‘ls’ command as root. The ~ (tilde) is a shortcut to the home directory of the user that is using it so if you run ‘ls ~/VST’ as root you will actually be running ‘ls /root/VST’ but if you run it as user louis you’ll be running ‘ls /home/louis/VST’

Run ls /home/louis/VST and if you see the dlls there run
sudo cp /home/louis/VST/* /usr/lib/vst

I did this

louis@louis-GA-MA69G-S3H:~$ ls /home/louis/VST

ls: cannot access /home/louis/VST: No such file or directory

I then moved the VST folder to the desktop and this is what I got;

louis@louis-GA-MA69G-S3H:~$ ls /home/louis/Desktop/VST

ls: cannot access /home/louis/Desktop/VST: No such file or directory

OK, obviously you don’t have everything in place.

Run sudo wget http://free-loops.com/vsts/free-loops-19715302.zip ; sudo mkdir /usr/lib/vst ; sudo unzip free-loops-19715302.zip -d /usr/lib/vst ; sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/vst/*

Assuming you don’t get any errors you should have a file called “Classic Auto-Filter.dll” in /usr/lib/vst. Verify it by running ls -la /usr/lib/vst and you should see something like
“-rwxr-xr-x 1 root.root 1233408 2005-02-16 18:10 Classic Auto-Filter.dll”

If that’s OK, then start ardourvst.

Ahh, after re-reading your initial post it seems you don’t know how to get the vst’s in the first place.

You have to download them from whatever site they’re at. But note that not all plugins work, it’s a trial-and-error chase.
The *fish plugins here (http://freevstplugins.blogspot.com/search/label/Free%20VST%20Effects) should work, for instance.

Thanks for all your help.
I originally copied the plugin from my NTFS partition.
(I am multi-booting).
After downloading the plugin again, I have succeded in installing it.
It’s all to no avail, since it wont work anyway.
Here is the message that I get when trying to load it in Ardour;
(You attempted to add a plugin (Gsnap).
The plugin has 2 inputs, but at the insertion point there are only 1 active signal streams.
This makes no sense - unless the plugin supports side chain inputs.
A future version of Ardour will support this type of configuration.

Since my problem has been solved, this issue can be considered closed.
Lstiver

You get the Gsnap error since you’re apparently trying to add a stereo plugin to a mono track.
If you install the swh-plugins you should have a LADSPA “Mono to Stereo splitter” you could add to the track before adding the Gsnap. Hopefully that should work.

Hello,
I am new to linux and I got problem configuring ardour to use vst instruments. i followed this tred and got result that help other music software like qtractor and hydrogen to load vst after remaining my vst directory from vstplugns to vst and the copy the directory with root access to usr/lib. But ardour 3 stil dont find the files. I did scons install and i got this :scons: *** No SConstruct file found.
File “/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Script/Main.py”, line 904, in _main
i wine installed. so what could be the problem?

@okumedia: it is not clear from your question whether you mean “VST plugins written for windows/x86”, or “native Linux VST’s” or “plugins”. If you mean the first of those three (which your mention of wine suggests), then as a newcomer to Linux I STRONGLY recommed that you do not try to do this yourself, if at all. Please see http://www.manual.ardour.org/working-with-plugins/windows-vst-support/ for more details. If you mean either of the 2nd two options, then I’m not really clear why you’re choosing to build Ardour yourself.

Thanks. Vst plugins is visible now.