vst and 64bit

hi,

is it possible to compile and run ardour with VST support on a 64bit ubuntu system?

wine is able to run 32bit exe files on a 64bit linux system without problems. so why can’t I use VST effects with ardour?
If not… what other possibilities do I have to get ardour and VST support running well on a 64bit system without using chroot?

building ardour on a 64bit system brings up the follwoing error:
libs/ardour/vst_plugin.cc: In member function ‘virtual std::string ARDOUR::VSTPlugin::unique_id() const’:
libs/ardour/vst_plugin.cc:415: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 4 has type ‘long int’
libs/ardour/vst_plugin.cc:415: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 4 has type ‘long int’
libs/ardour/vst_plugin.cc: In member function ‘virtual ARDOUR::PluginPtr ARDOUR::VSTPluginInfo::load(ARDOUR::Session&)’:
libs/ardour/vst_plugin.cc:485: error: cast from ‘FSTHandle*’ to ‘int’ loses precision
scons: *** [libs/ardour/vst_plugin.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

You cannot run 32 bit plugins in a 64 bit host, on any platform (at least not without a grotesque hack to hide the fact that every variable that holds an address is a different size).

If you want VST, you need to run a 32 bit OS, or at least 32 bit hosts because all win32/x86 plugins are compiled for 32 bit hosts.

ok… thanks so far.

I have installed a 32 bit version of Jack and ardour with VST support via chroot. But I can’t get Jack running in realtime mode with a normal user. As root all works fine

Group audio has realtime permissions and the user is part of group audio

/etc/security/limits.conf
@audio - rtprio 90
@audio - nice -10
@audio - memlock 4000000

(hardy32)daseeb@daseeb-desktop:~$ /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n4
jackd 0.109.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread -136874320, from thread -136874320] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot create engine