Virtual Playing Orchestra

Telover, Paul has put his heart and soul into developing this project for the last 15 years, and not only has he written hundreds of thousands of lines of code, he also manages to be extremely polite to folks who show up on this forum, some of which act rather belligerent and entitled about what features they think Ardour should have. Frankly, transferring tracks between projects isn’t a basic use case, let alone doing so from a rather complex project like the orchestra template. Paul doesn’t owe it to explain line-by-line everything to everybody showing up in this forum, the more time he spends doing that, the less time he has to manage the development of Ardour.

P.S. How’s this for useless: https://instaud.io/KFi#0:00.0 (my first full-length orchestra project, still unfinished and rough draft)

Ardour is a great software and we must support this project. Left ALL proprietary daws
(as samplitude studio one even reaper) bought for Ardour And mixbus. I have everything i need, PTX import sesions, video, audio of course; Great daw really. Thx for your work Ardour is a mature daw. Works perfectlty on my win10 and Linux.

For AUDIO, for video, ardour is a GREAT tool. For midi take another one as rosegarden, cubase, logic. As we know them, all daws are specific: some of them are great for audio (samplitude protools) others are better for midi (cubase logic)

Funny, after trying several different apps on Linux for midi sequencing, I’ve found that I’m by far the most happy with Ardour. For a project that purportedly specializes in audio over midi, I still think it’s fantastic despite a few hangups and bugs that I’ve experienced here and there.

Michael, you should know me by now. I’m far from be belligerant and I never post up any kind of problems.
I was trying to understand how to use your “useless” masterpiece and I’ve got that answer by Paul. Since it’s not the first time, I have the right to be someway annoyed, do I?
Parts of the manual are not yet written, other parts tells you how to do something but don’t explain why, how and what.
I love Ardour and I woulnd’t like to go to other daws or whatever they are, and I haven’t said Paul is obliged to explain everrything to everybody, but it should be decided if Ardour has to be a software for everybody or for just few advanced people.
I think is more than normal if people ask questions, expecially about something which is not so easy. I’m not talking of Ardour in particular, but of all the softwares like it.
For example, for me the greatest characteristic of Ardour is not being forced to use jack. If I open up jack, I’ll start to have problems. The machine slows down and at a certain point I have to kill the jackdbus. With Ardour it doesn’t happen. I don’t know why but it’s in this way.
So, since there are these damn MIDIs around, they must be useful for a hypothetic application. For my personal case, they would be useful to write some orchestra parts or piano or whatever it is.
That’s why I’m trying to understand how to put up together all the audio parts with the damn midis. And since Ardour doesn’t do this, I was asking if I should write and play the midi parts with another software, export as audio and import in Ardour to put them together the other tracks.
Having said all this, I guess you made that track with Ardour using the teplate. How did you do it? I mean exporting. Is it a wav or flac or mp3 or other?

it should be decided if Ardour has to be a software for everybody or for just few advanced people.

@telover: you have a very specific use-case. I know that from your perspective it seems entirely obvious that want you want do is simple, straightforward and common. That’s fair enough. But it is absolutely NOT the case that Ardour is only for “a few advanced people”. It just doesn’t happen to do the thing that you want to do. That’s unfortunate but it doesn’t mean that the program is focused on only the needs of a few. You have a legitimate feature request, but generalizing this particular deficit into a broader complaint about Ardour really doesn’t seem justified to me.

Telover, I think we might not be understanding each other. You mention exporting a midi track, but I think what you are actually asking is how to export the audio. You should be able to do this will a STEM export. Go to the Session Menu, Export, STEM Export. In the STEM Export dialog, choose “Cellos Bus” and “Violas Bus”, and export them. The files will end up in your project under the /export directory.

I actually haven’t tried STEM exporting an audio bus, but I’m assuming that it will work.

Hi Mich. No, not this time. I asked what did you do to put your piece on the net. Did you export the whole section? I don’t mean as midi, I mean as audio. I guess the file you put online is audio, right?

Yes, I did a session export. I’m wondering if you set a track to solo, and then did a session export, if it would only capture the solo?

It should. Until now I’ve only exported the whole song. The other time I tried to export a couple tracks, but it was MIDI so it didn’t export anything.
I guess there should be a way to putting together audio and midi tracks: creating a single audio track inside the template with a rythmic something, or a drum, then writing the part for the orchestra. In the end exporting the tracks as audio and importing them inside the audio project or, if the song is completed, in Audacity just to name one.
The problem importing the orchestra part in the song it would be the volume, it wouldn’t be too easy to set ii up accordingly with the rest of the tracks.
By other hand, importing the tracks in Audacity it means creating two stereo tracks, beside the two having been exported from Ardour, to put the orchestra in it.
Well I have to make some tries.

When doing the STEM export, did you pick the “Violas” midi track, or “Violas Bus” audio bus? You need to pick the audio bus in order to capture the audio.

Mich, here’s what I got: https://i.imgsafe.org/dadfa4cf5f.png
I wrote the parts for violas and cellos. Then in the export window, I selected all violas and cellos channels available: Violas, Violas bus, Violas ER and so on.
The files in the link are all empty.
I’ll try again later selecting different stuff.
I picked just export, not stem export.

Mich, since this topic doesn’t go any further, I’d like to know what manouvres you do >b>exactly to export the work.
I have a track, put violas. I haven’t modified anything in the template, only wrote the part.
I go to session, export to audio, I chose the file type, flac or wav, then I go to channels and chose Viola Bus.
I go on on exporting and I see the bar moving in the windows.
I quit Ardour, go on a folder I have on the desktop where I keep the exporting session and I find the files in the print screen pasted above.
So there’s something not clear, or not working, or not selected, or I don’t know what.
Any hint?

OK I’m going to try to install this VPOT from Mike today.
I have Ubuntu 18.04, Ardour 1:5.12.0-3 and jack 3.1.1+cvs20050801-29.2 which me luck.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.