Very New to this and need lots of help.

Hey guys, thanks for reading and helping if possible. I am very new to Ubuntu and Ardour. In fact I have never really used Ardour because I cant get some stuff working. I am going to give as much info as possible, hoping that you will be able to shed some light on a few questions.

I have been able to get the “Jack Was Unable to Start” error to go away by using this command: jackd -d alsa -d hw:1

When I start ardour it already picks up my desktop microphone. When I select a new track and record, it picks it up. However when I push play it doesn’t work. What can I do to setup my audio settings so that it plays?

I am trying to use a Mustang I amplifier (has USB connection) with Ardour. I have found the input in QjackCtl setup, but when I try to get it to connect within Ardour or on the main Jack audio interface page I cannot find it. Is there something else I need to do in either to get it recognized and able to record?

What do I select as my output? Or how do I find this information? The names all just look like gibberish to me.

To be honest I have no idea what I am doing, and even though the things I posted in some cases may sound like it, I don’t really know much more than what I posted and everything there is just from research not actual knowledge. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am hoping someone will be willing to walk me through some steps very slowly to get JACK and Ardour set up properly so I can get it to work.

I am using Ubuntu Studio, no external sound card (just a basic Creative inside card), a basic midi connection cable (though doesnt apply a ton here), Mustang I amp.

Ask for more info you need, please be simple but explain what you are asking me to do. Thank you so so so much.

This should help…

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/

And to clarify something, Jack is designed for professional audio interfaces, so by default and design it doesn’t work well with multiple sound cards at once, which is what you are doing when you are trying to use both your creative(for monitoring) and your Mustang 1 amplifier(for recording). In your specific case there are options, specifically the alsa_in and alsa_out jack clients, which I will let others speak more to since I don’t use them very much.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man1/alsa_in.1.html

Read through the FLOSS manual above and let me know if that clarifies some things for you, and come back with questions:)

Seablade

Greetings,

You might find some useful information here regarding the Mustang and Ardour :

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/plug-and-fender-mustang

Best,

dp

Guys, thanks so much for the replies and I apologize for taking so long to get back. I have been working in Windows in the composing side of things on a new song recently so haven’t opened Linux for a while.

I am starting to understand why I am having problems now thanks to you inputs. Luckily I was able to get audio to work, sadly now recording picks absolutely nothing up. I used to be able to get some audio waves to appear, just couldn’t listen to it. Now it’s the opposite, I can import and listen but can’t record. It seems I may not even be able to. Any other ideas? I will tweak a little more to see if I can recreate the recording conditions (can’t remember how I did it now). Any more advice/step by step instructions would be great. Thanks!

oh by the way, I also have a Microsoft Life Cam with a mix on it I use for simple voice recordings etc. I think it was the device i used to get something to record before. Now I cant get it to respond.