Vertical waveform zoom

I can only imagine that adding vertical zoom is a monumental task because it’s such an obvious and useful feature to add and has been requested many times. We need a user who is also a dev and has an interest in this feature to implement it :slight_smile:

I often work with material that is recorded at a variety of dynamics, some parts are loud and others are very soft. I keep having to switch between logarithmic and normal waveform view, very frustrating. Vertical zoom would be so useful!

Peek 2020-06-05 13-39

If you’re only working with quiet sounds though the logarithmic view should probably suffice for your purpose.

2 Likes

Can you explain why you find it useful? Looking at your example I fail to see anything relevant.

Personally I prefer that Ardour does displays he waveform as-is, without any gain that isn’t there. – You can zoom vertically by adding gain.

Just chipping in here. Having used DAWs where this is possible, I no longer see it as necessary with Ardour’s logarithmic view. I suppose it was useful in other DAWs when needing to do precise alignments of crossfades just prior to transients. In really quiet passages unless there was a waveform zoom, it was near impossible. Since doing most of my work in Ardour/Mixbus, I don’t think I’ve missed it one bit. The great news is that logarithmic is now the default view?

1 Like

At the risk of stating the obvious: Expanding the track the the full vertical height helps a ton. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A hint: Select a region, Ctrl + left-arrow/right-arrow jumps to previous/next transient (really a tiny bit before the onset, where signal energy is low).

Yes it is.

Also by Ardour rounds away from zero, and adds a black-outline to non-silent min/max sample-value ranges. e.g. top-one is silence:

Yes and no. For doing manual source/destination editing, I’m dragging material over the top of existing material followed by reducing to a single layer. I need material either side of the transients so the shortcut doesn’t do much in my situation. Apparently I need to learn LUA scripting so I can create a proper source-destination routine. As I say, for classical music, visually at least, the logarithmic view works wonders for me.

For @AliMacD your hint may well be the ticket along with logarithmic waveform and the suggestion by @speak to expand the track.

My example is zoomed out horizontally, that waveform is made up of many individual recordings, some really soft, others much louder. I can’t really show it in a gif that would fit reasonably on the screen so here’s a video.

Something that would be even more useful is different zoom levels for different regions.

I suppose if I recorded on my SoundDevices in 32-bit float mode from rustling of leaves to loud traffic I see how this could actually be useful. Could you show us how your example looks on Ardour with logarithmic waveform enabled (and perhaps extended to fit the screen)? I hold that classical doesn’t need anything other than logarithmic but I’m starting to see that other types of capture might really benefit.

My previous example was a single file. In practice this file is one channel of a 6 channel recording. So the following video shows all 6 channels as I’d use them in Ardour with logarithmic view. The main problem is with the quieter parts, it’s harder to discern where the sound I’m interested in starts/ends because the noise is so prominent in the waveform. As you can see in the Reaper example this isn’t an issue when the waveform is scaled up/down linearly.

Yes, fair enough. Is there a way to just view the first channel to enable you to use log view plus extended to full editor space? That would be a little like the collapsible track groups in Pyramix for source-destination editing of multi-mic setups when the only track you really need for editing is the main pair but any edits/fades affect every mic/channel.

That would be useful, I don’t know of a way to do that.

Thanks. Doing some comparison between PT and Ardour with a variety of sounds I think the log waveform is really useful. It will take me a little while to get used to the difference as I’ll be swapping between DAWs when teaching. (I don’t suppose there’s a way to set a keyboard shortcut to jump between views? I looked in the keyboard shortcut menu in vain.)

I think @x42 would know the answer to that but I suspect it is highly likely with scripting. Why worry about changing though? For me personally, once I discovered log waveform view I never went back…

the Editor/goto-visual-state-N actions (in the Editor tab of the keyboard binding editor, shown as “Go to View N”, will do something like that.

Note however that your definition of a “View” coming from ProTools may not fully align with what Ardour considers a “View”.

1 Like

I meant jumping between log and linear waveform scales. I set View 1 in one scale, then switched in Prefs and set View 2… Switching between views doesn’t change the scale. Probably not too important in the end.

I understand what you mean…that’s why I suggested that it might be possible via a LUA script. I’ve yet to delve into LUA so I have no clue but others here would be able to suggest ways to implement it.

I was interested too and found this:

You can copy this script, paste it in Menu/Window/Scripting and save it.
After that go to Menu/Edit/LuaScripts/ScriptManager, click “add/set” and choose the script (“Toggle Waveform”).
Then go to Menu/Window/KeyboardShortcuts and set a shortcut for this.
Shift+W works good for me:)

4 Likes

You can also right-click on one of the Lua action-buttons top-right in the editor to assign the script.

2 Likes

Thank you both. Works for me too.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.