Varispeed: "LV2 Convolution" plugins no output

When I turn varispeed on (e.g. 1 semitone slower) all tracks with the LV2 Convolution plugin stop outputting. If I bypass the plugins then they play.

Are they not compatible with varispeed? I can’t find anything hinting at what the cause might be.

Yes, and for that reason the plugin was deprecated before Ardour 6.0 was released, and superseded with x42 Zero Config|Latency Convolver (“x42-IR Convolver Mono/Stereo”).

You may already have that plugin installed, various GNU/Linux distros package it since 2019.

Tech details:

Since 6.0 Ardour does vari-speed playback by resampling in/out port data.
So to play 1 semitone lower, the session processes 94.3% of the samples for each process-cycle, and the result is up-sampled for playback.

This can lead to non-power of two cycles. e.g. at block-size 1024, the session, and all plugins, process 996 or 997 samples each cycle.

In Ardour 5 and earlier versions the same could happen when looping, that also result in partial process cycles.

FFT, by nature of the process, requires power-of-two data blocks, and the original convo.lv2 plugin only worked with blocks that are 2^N.

The new zconvo.lv2 addresses this and allows for arbitrary process block sizes.

1 Like

Awesome.

No, I didn’t have it installed. I’m still using the previous version of AVLinux (2020).

Downloaded, installed and problem solved. Thanks Robin.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.