Hey Guys,
I recently setup a Linux machine and this is my second track I produced using ardour, Vital and OSTirus.
Any comments and criticisms are welcome. It is an EDM track so even if it is not your cup of tea I can still get some technical inputs.
Hey Dking952012,
I have a modest mini PC which has the power but terrible at heat management so I basically don’t leave any midi synthesizers on. I just bounce them to audio to reduce cpu load. I discovered in a way it is also an efficient method to avoid incessant tweaking of sounds.
I’m not into EDM (at all, really) so I don’t have anything meaningful to say unfortunately However it sounds boss to my ears and there’s so nice synth / patch design and some lovely melodies going on etc So nice one troyvasanth
I do like trance and hard dance and I am also learning to produce it in Ardour. It’s very helpful seeing all your regions and track names (even if they’re all bounced)!
It sounds good . It’s definitely something I would play at 3am. The 8 bar outro is maybe a bit short to mix out of though; maybe I would start mixing halfway through verse2. It would be easier to DJ with a 32 bar tail trailing with say just the drums and some sporadic hits on the lead.
I notice you have all your percussion on separate tracks. Were the drums all done in OSTirus? Does it make you split them out like that or was it just easier? I’ve been using Geonkick and DrumSynth (via Distroh) and PunkLab’s OneTrick synths which provide a drum kit on a single MIDI track – but each sound has individual gain and filter controls (and Geonkick even has a mode where it can route out each sound to a separate Ardour track). I find it easier to understand my drum patterns when they’re contained to single MIDI regions, even if it means more copy-pasting.
I’d be curious to see what filters you have on each track. I’ve been exploring sidechain compression (using the built in ACE Compressor) and I understand how to route it but not, I think, how to really make it shine. You’ve got a good bounce going here so I wonder if you’ve made good use of sidechaining.
Is the riser a sample or did you make it with MIDI?