using one instance of ardour as a mixer for another - "event pool out of memory" error

greetings!

two things:

1. i’m often using one instance of ardour as a mix session (sometimes with slight changes saved as snapshots for different songs) for another instance of ardour which contains the audio data. this allows me to easily apply a consistent mix to many different sessions which all have the same layout of source tracks - and if i wish to change some aspects of the mix, that gets applied to all the source sessions without having to migrate those changes to all the source sessions. i don’t think there’s currently any more efficient way of doing this, but if anyone has a good solution which doesn’t require running two instances of ardour, please let me know!

2. when i operate as above, the first session (the “source”) often throws a “CRITICAL: event POOL OUT OF MEMORY - RECOMPILE WITH LARGER SIZE!!” error as soon as i start the second session (the “mix”). it’s not predictable, and will happen or not happen at random with successive attempts two start the two sessions, even without changing the session files. i’ve tried all the stuff about disabling MMC, which has been referred to previously with respect to this issue, but it doesn’t seem to provide a consistent solution. i’m using current SVN (as of this morning). any clues??

thanks much… cheers!
.pltk.

i'm using current SVN (as of this morning).
by which i mean 8048, but i've seen this issue on many other SVN builds recently as well.

.pltk.

ok, i’ve got an interesting observation here:

i’ve been running an active qjackctl patchbay definition, to keep the two ardours connected if i switch the source session, and also to reconnect jackconvolver automatically, if i restart it to change impulse files. after quite a number of tests, re-starting the whole suite of stuff here, it seems that the error does not occur if i leave the patchbay INactive during startup of the sessions, and only activate it AFTER all applications are up.

so, apparently it’s not an error triggered by the two ardours alone, but requires other things to be going on as well. hmmm. complicated.

any useful thoughts on this whole thing from anyone?

.pltk.

hmmm… not good:

it appears that starting the sessions while the qjackctl patchbay def is not active is not a solution; i’ve had the error occur a number of times that way too now.

blarg.

.pltk.

since i’m in the midst of work that needs to move along, i’m taking this over to the ardour-users email list – maybemore readers over there?

cheers!
.pltk.

in case anyone’s watching this over here, Paul just replied on the list, with the solution:

you should stop trying to solve the problem, and simply rebuild after
applying this patch:

Index: libs/ardour/session_events.cc
===================================================================
— libs/ardour/session_events.cc (revision 7909)
+++ libs/ardour/session_events.cc (working copy)
@@ -37,7 +37,7 @@
using namespace PBD;
using namespace std;
-MultiAllocSingleReleasePool Session::Event::pool (“event”, sizeof (Session::Event), 512);
+MultiAllocSingleReleasePool Session::Event::pool (“event”, sizeof (Session::Event), 1024);
void
Session::add_event (nframes_t frame, Event::Type type, nframes_t target_frame)