Using EWS88MT With Ardour and Ubuntu Studio

Hello all, I am new to the linux world and am planning on setting up a linux DAW using Ubuntu Studio With Ardour. I currently have Terratec EWS88MT sound card and need to know if it will work with Ardour and Ubuntu. Any help would be greatly appreciated

just sold 3 of them, but yes, they work great…actually miss them, just wasn’t using them as much as I used to. Just make sure that you turn up the inputs in alsamixer (that one got me twice!).
mm0

P.S. They should work right out of the box.

thanks for the advice. What sound card do you use now?

I just have my on-board right now, and a Yamaha DP-U50…neither of which I would want to do any serious recording…I also have an Echo Mia, which is a great card, but can’t get it to work at all, even though ALSA supports it…oh well…

I cannot get any sound out of my EWS88MT. I have checked tha alsa mixer and everything seems to be unmuted. Any ideas

First, is it your card working with the alsa driver, can you play an audio file at all? (this is, without starting ardour or other jack related application?).
If so,
run qjackctl, go to the set up and check the interface. It could be that jack is not seeing the EWS88MT but another one (the onboard one maybe?).
Although ardour starts jack for you, at this first stage I recommend you start jack (with its GUI, qjackctl) and then ardour, to help you understand how it works.
Cheers
Pablo

Also, how do youhave the card patched. I only used the breakout box, not the 1/8" mini connector. And, as the previous poster asked…does sound work for anything else?

mm0

No, My card does not work with the alsa driver. I can play audio files with the totem media player when i use the ice1712 multi driver. I use the breakout box with the cable from the card to the box. How do I check the interface in Jack?

Thanks
Ben

This is what happens after I try to start jack.

19:15:15.460 JACK is starting…
19:15:15.461 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -r44100 -p1024 -n3 -D -Chw:1 -Phw:1 -i2 -o2
jackd 0.109.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
19:15:15.502 JACK was started with PID=9117.
loading driver …
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver … hw:1|hw:1|1024|3|44100|2|2|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:1
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 3 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: cannot set channel count to 2 for capture
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
cannot load driver module alsa
no message buffer overruns
19:15:15.796 JACK was stopped successfully.
19:15:15.797 Post-shutdown script…
19:15:15.798 killall jackd
jackd: no process killed
19:15:16.222 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
19:15:17.757 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.

Start qjackctl, go to setup.

Try input channels:0; output channels:0. Input device: Default; Output device: Default.
Check the right interface with the horizontal arrow on the right.
I hope jack will start with that.

As for the “n” value, periods/buffer, 3 works for some audio cards and 2 for others. muzicman will know, or else, try both values.
1024 frames/period seems rather conservative. Try decreasing the latency by decreasing that number.
By the way, are you using a low latency kernel? Check your kernel with $ uname -r or $ uname -a. If it is patched for realtime you have to [edit: sorry, you may] enable the realtime option in jack.
Cheers
Pablo

I believe I used 2 buffers with no problems. to be on the safe side, with qjackctl, uncheck realtime, as it should work fine that way even if you have a real-time kernel.
mm0

Thanks for your help, I got it working!!

envy24control is another one you should be using… it’s in ubuntu, i think the package is alsa-utils or something like that.
envy24control lets you set every detail of the sound chip, much like the windows MT88 control program. I can’t get the “save profile” thing to work, though it used to work at some point in the past.

Great soundcard, i picked mine up for very little money from a shop that hadn’t sold it for years and the box was all battered and worn out.

I never use the 1/8’’ sockets, only the breakout box.

Glad you got it working!
mm0

Ben could you post back “how” you got it working?

Thanks

I got it working by going to jack control setup and selecting my ews88mt as the alternate input device with the alsa driver