Using Ardour to Update Piano Firmware via MIDI?

A kinda special question here:

I found out that there is an updated firmware for my twenty years old Roland stage piano (RD-700). :joy:
This is distributed via 31 MIDI-files (described as SMF) - I suppose containing a sequence of CC commands or the likeā€¦

I tried to import the files into Ardour and playing them back via MIDI-out, but I suppose that did output only a fraction of the commands to the piano (I didnā€™t see a lot of action happening on the MIDI output and it obviously didnā€™t have much effect).

I also tried SendMIDI, which I use every now and then very successfully to send single commands, but I fear it cannot handle MIDI-files, anyways I am not able to succeed with it eitherā€¦

Is it at all possible to do this with Ardour? What do I have to take care of? Or is there some other simple solution you could recommend?

Thanks a lot
laex

It is not usually possible to play a SMF (Standard MIDI File) that contains firmware on a track MIDI track in realtime. The timing may be off, or SysEx messages may be too long.

Firmware updates are usually done offline. On GNU/Linux Iā€™d use aplaymidi (or amidi) command-line tools.

ā€“

Ardour can do this for control surfaces (which have async, not realtime MIDI ports) via a Lua Script.

In your case to flash a keyboard the following should work:

• Preferences > Control Surfaces. Enable Generic MIDI. This creates an async MIDI port which can be used for non realtime messages.
  • Window > MIDI Connections. Connect Ardour Misc : Generic MIDI Control Out to Hardware : RD-700
  • Window > Scripting. In the Lua script window select the script ā€œActions > Send Raw MIDI from Fileā€ and press Run.

In the script dialog, pick the firmware .mid file (the dialog says .syx, but any SMF works), and select the port Generic MIDI Control Out as target:

Thank you very very much, Robin!

Unfortunately Ardour didnā€™t work out though. Although everything seemed to run just fine as you suggested, the piano kept reporting an error after a couple of .mid filesā€¦ As aplaymidi worked very much straight forward and obviously correctly, I didnā€™t investigate furtherā€¦

Thanks again!!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.