Using Ardour for live performance

Hi!

I’m new here and I have tried to search the forum for what I’m looking for, but couldn’t find a post asking the question I have. (My apologies if it’s already been asked, or if this is a known feature in Ardour).

What I’d like to have:
Be able to have an arranger-like feature, where recorded loops (similar to Yamaha’s “styles”) live in Ardour, but I can control them for live performance by sending input from a keyboard connected to the computer. (Imagine a looped generic style/pattern being used for several songs due to this feature.)

Current setup:

• Yamaha MOXF8 keyboard
  • Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
  • Audio Interface

So, the real question is, can I achieve something like that using Ardour? Basically, once the loop has been created, is there a way that you can, on the fly, change the chord progression, tempo, etc by controlling it from a keyboard? This would be the best setup for me to have a one-man band where I can record all the tracks I’d want (drums, bass, guitar, piano, strings, etc) and have them play in a loop, but still intelligently modify they sound. This is a feature in keyboards like the PSR series of Yamaha, but the MOXF8 doesn’t have that feature. So, I’m trying to find a “hack” or a workaround that “impediment” using Ardour.

If what I’m looking for can be achieved by a different setup or software, please feel free to suggest it to me.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Short version, not sure Ardour is the appropriate tool for this.

Seablade

Maybe you’ll find some of these helpful:

@roithammer

Thanks I don’t do that style of work myself so don’t have good resources to provide for that type of question, so thanks for finding them.

Backupband might also work.

(also search for it on the Linuxmusicians.com forum for more info, the creator j_e_f_f_g is active on there)