Using a Behringer audio interface and guitarix

I have a Behringer usb audio interface and I wish to connect my electric guitar to guitarix and record it with all the effects, in ardour. I am using ardour in Ubuntu studio19. I am a newbie to Linux and audio production. Can someone please provide me with stepwise instructions to doing it??

Thank you

Hello there @Abhigya,
it will take some effort to find your way around Linux, but if you manage, it will be rewarding.

Guitarix is not the easiest software to use in Ardour. You’d either have to connect through Jack or generate an LV2 plugin through Carla. Both is not exactly newbie territory. If someone knows an easier approach please post.

As a first step, you might get some results by simply setting up Guitarix standalone with this video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwMqXwDpL1k

If you managed that … and had a nice jam … you can connect to record in Ardour through Jack. If you run into problems please post, so people here can help you. :desert_island::sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you for your attention @somethis1. But I just realised my problem after watching this video. My audio interface isn’t showing up in Ubuntu! But i remember it showed up on one of the previous versions. I checked for drivers and Linux drivers aren’t available for my model! Can something be done?

There is no need to “generate an LV2 plugin through Carla”. Most of Guitarix’ processing is already available as distinct LV2 plugins.

1 Like

There are no special drivers for a class-compliant USB audio device, which I believe the Behringer device you are trying use is. If it doesn’t show up, it isn’t because of “missing drivers”.

1 Like

So what should I do?

You could try a copy of AVLinux and see if the device is recognized. That distro is specifically setup for recording audio from a proper interface. I have a Behringer UMC1820, and it works on that OS with no fuss. If AVLinux solves your issue, you could stick with it or get on the Ubuntu forums to figure out what is going wrong there.

Ah, I must have been reciting some outdated information. Ran a testinstall and it worked without a problem through the repositories in Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS.

1 Like

Hello @Abhigya
when I switched my audio processing from Windows based Cubase to Ubuntu based Ardour I was facing the same problem my: my M-AUDIO interface just didn’t show up in the system. It was frustrating!

Now there are two ways to approach this. You can either check for solutions or post yourself in one of the forums e.g. here https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2405905.html

… or you can switch your hardware device to one which is more compatible to Ubuntu. What I did was really straightforward … if you’re on a budget simply sell your interface on Craigslist or whatever is available in your country. At the same time look for hardware that is most likely compatible. I don’t know what hardware you have but my research back done revealed that focusrite interfaces hardly cause problems. If you’re really unsure you could order from a shop with a good return policy.

Might sound like a bummer but it’s a lot faster than going crazy over incompatible hardware.

Please keep us posted, cheers Tom

1 Like

I am using Behringer 320usb.and it is said to be compatible with Ubuntu on the Amazon consumer questions. I posted a similar thread on the Behringer community and they’ve begun troubleshooting. I hope they come up with something.
Thank you for your attention @somethis1

I have a UMC404HD - do you think then 1820 is worth the upgrade,without any extended input stuff?

I think it is. You get a real power switch on the front of the unit in addition to two headphone outs, dim/mute toggles, and it is rack-mountable :slight_smile: You would lose the 192k sample rate but that’s hardly a deal-breaker. These are worthwhile things for me.

Having said that, including the extended inputs (all the digital ins and outs and the 8 XLR inputs) are the real value. It is a stellar unit especially for the price. Sonically there won’t be a difference as I assume the internals share much in common.

I have the 204HD, 404HD and 1820 so I’m a little biased. Depending on the task, each gets a run out on a regular basis. Your 404HD could remain in service as a DAC for playing back your music files on the computer, for example…

I have Behringer 204HD and 404HD, too and they work out of the box in Ubuntu. They are recognized by ALSA and thus usable with Jack or pulseaudio. I searched for your Xenyx 302 (?) USB and that should be the same.
Does it show up with “aplay -l”?

And what extension unit did you get?

I’m not quite sure I follow you correctly about the “extension unit” but if you are referring to an Micpre ADAT unit to add an additional 8 mic preamps to the built-in 8 preamps on the 1820, the Behringer ADA8200 or Scarlett Octopre both look good. I don’t have one of those yet but there’s a report on this forum that the UMC1820 + ADA8200 combo works out of the box (as long as you set your master/slave stuff correctly on the ADA8200).

Dear @Abhigya , just being curious … did the forum manage to resolve the issue?
If not, maybe you can test the hardware of someone you know.

BTW, you probably meant Behringer Xenyx 302 USB? Looks great for podcasting :sunglasses::desert_island:

@somethis1 no, they didn’t quite ‘resolve’ the issue. I am giving av Linux a try. I’ll let you know how it turns out

1 Like

Please do. Running the risk of repetition: I would build the hardware around my favorite Linux, not some Linux around my hardware.
If you’re in a country with a market for used gear, make a windows user happy :smirk: Keeping my thumbs pressed :+1:

Oh sick, my mates getting one and I might aswell and I wanted to see what people were doing - the behringer recommended one was like 300 euro.

Hey everyone, thank you so much for your time.
The mixer is working, I can hear my guitar along with any other audio I am playing on my laptop, but I still can’t set up guitarix and ardour. Can someone please guide me through…

Thank you