Use Midi to Control Events in Ardour

I already know how to enable General MIDI in Ardour and ctrl+middle click to bind it to faders and pots (including those inside ladspa plugins)

However, I was wondering if you can bind MIDI events to other things, like enabling/disabling ladspa plugins (bypass/activate), muting and unmuting channels, solo’s etc and more advanced things.

The reason is I’d like to invest in a pedal board like the Behringer FCB-1010, and am not sure how to effectively use it in Ardour.

What I’d like to do (as a Guitar player, pianist, violinist) is: -

• Control Volume (Check! Bind it to either a master volume fader, or channel fader)
  • Control expression (Wah! Check! Bind it to a fader in a wah ladsp plugin)
  • Use it perhaps as a multi-stompbox (Enable/Disable various plugins)
  • Use it perhaps to recall previously set presets
  • Stop/Start playing (I think this is already possible)

Brendan

We do not have binding to plugin bypass buttons, but it would be relatively easy to do. You should add it as a feature request on the bug tracker.

Recalling presets is quite a bit more complex. Feel free to file that one too, but you should include a lot of detail about how you imagine a MIDI CC message mapping to a particular preset? Are they in alpha-numeric sort order by name, for example?

Start/Stop playing is already possible, and if you have a MIDI controller that can send MMC (MIDI Machine Control), you won’t even need to set up the bindings - Ardour understands MMC and will respond to Level1 and some Level2 commands (including all the obvious transport control stuff)