use an effect only for a moment and let it roll

Hi

First of all, i’ve been searching for topics about this but didn’t find any so excuse me in advance if it has already been explained.
Second, excuse my english if what i’m asking is not so clear :wink:

Here it is :
I’d like to use an effect on a track. How can I use a strong effect just a moment and let it develop while the rest of the track is played, without modification.

For clarity’s sake I’ll ask my question using an example. Let’s say the track is from a drum machine with kick and snare alternatively and the effect is a delay. I’d like to use a long delay on just one snare hit but not on the kicks or snares following it. If I use an automation, I’ll have the full delay effect until I switch the effect off just before the next kick. If I don’t switch it off, the effect will also apply to the following kick. So the "queue " of the effect is cut off, giving a rather bad ending.
Instead, I’d like to be able to let the effect ring and develop, event though the following kicks and snares are playing.

I was thinking about using a send to a specific delay bus on which the delay effect will be activated, as a post, and then control the input of the effect. The output of this bus will be only wet of course. But it seems rather complicated.

Is there another more simple way of doing this ?

Thanks a lot…

jy

perhaps not the cleanest (not the most ram/hdd efficient) but probably the easiest way is to create another track, insert the desired effect (in your example: delay) and paste just the bits of audio you want to have effected (in your example: snare) into it.

i use this way sometimes, 'cause:
a) it is much faster to cut out some bits of a region (s) and ctrl-midleclick-drag them to new track than to spend my youth fiddling with automation curves, sends, inserts etc.
b) automation is obviously still sorta buggy in ardour, to use new track seems to be more stable to me
c) this way also gives me better control over the effect from the mixer - i can do a lot by using fader and solo/mute button without having to click through any cryptic gui, it is easy to put different eq on wet signal, route it to another output etc. - handy and flexible.

cheers,
t.

I was thinking about using a send to a specific delay bus on which the delay effect will be activated, as a post, and then control the input of the effect. The output of this bus will be only wet of course. But it seems rather complicated.

This is actually a fairly standard way of running many types of effects including reverb.

Alternatively what was suggested above should work fine as well.

Seablade