Upgrade Jack, Breaks Jack

Mandriva 2006, updated jack from rpm’s.

jackd -R -d alsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2
jackd 0.101.1
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with POSIX SHM support.
/dev/shm/jack-0 already exists, but is not a directory!

cannot create server sockets
cannot create engine

Displaying my /dev/shm:

ls /dev/shm
jack-shm-registry

General system info:

uname -a
Linux ws213.ltsp 2.6.12-12mdksmp #1 SMP Fri Sep 9 17:43:23 CEST 2005 i686 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz unknown GNU/Linux

It worked before I did the jack upgrade,

tia

Is there any advantage to using --enable-posix-shm?

Assuming fstab of something like:
none /dev/shm ramfs size=64M 0 0

(I prefer to limit the size, figure 64MB is good)

I also tend to favor “mount -o size=64M -t ramfs none /mnt/ramfs” for a path, and leave /dev alone for devices instead of a ramdisk.

I don’t recall ever using posix-shm API – ever!

Did you try it w/o --enable-posix-shm?? (and removing the /dev/shm/jack-0 file?)

–Doug

Posix shm has always been a pain. In the past I have been able to use posix shm, but not with the tmpdir being set to /dev/shm. For some reason that always caused problems. I could create any other type of tmpfs, and use that as the tmpdir, but just not /dev/shm.

I remember this was addressed on the list quite a while back, but don’t remember if it was really ever fixed. I’ve just been using SysV shm since then and recommend others to do the same. I really see no advantage to using the posix-shm.

sorry for dupe, slow network…

Hi all, Thanks for the info. As mentioned in another thread, I am re-learning Ardour after quite a while off. My problem here, was that I was trying to update Jack from Mandriva RPM’s (to get to jackd 0.101.1), and that’s where the posix-shm came from.

I had the Mandriva CD’s at hand, and was just trying to learn my way around it all again. I have since installed CCRMA on Fedora 5, and it’s working quite a bit better now. I know there is a tremendous amount of work over the years on Planet CCRMA, and I would be for the better to take advantage of it. The machine still needs some more things that I am adding slowly. It doesn’t have enough RAM to multi-track properly, but it has enough to record a track or two.

Mandriva’s packager is to blame. JACK on Linux should NOT be built to use the POSIX shared memory API. Please file a bug with them.

@Cayenne Pepper Diet:

Please log out and disappear.
There are many other forums/mailing lists you can spam.

eywallah kurban :wink: sikiş erotik video sikiş erotik video izleyin bakalım