Ubuntu 18.04: Have to Force Quit every time

I finish my recording session, save, quit - mixer disappears, editor goes blank but Window stays where it is and I have to Force Quit Ardour in order to get out. This is every time.

I would probably help if you started Ardour from the terminal and then post here the messages you get there when you try to quit…

What Luis says. Your problem certainly isn’t universal so it help for us to have concrete data on what is happening in your experience.

Sorry for taking so long … here it is:
Butler drops pool trash
JackTemporaryException : now quits…
Jack main caught signal 2
JackALSARawMidiDriver::Stop - stopping ´alsarawmidi´ driver.
JackALSARawMidiDriver::Execute - ALSA thread exiting.
Released audio card Audio2
audio_reservation_finish
Killed

Last line comes after I “Force Quit” of course.

Does this also happen without JACK? Try using Ardour’s built-in ALSA backend.

There used to be a bug in Ubuntu that jackd -T never terminates. Another possibility is that you’re using Ardour to start jackd, but at the time you close Ardour, other JACK apps are still active, preventing jackd from terminating.

I do have the same problem: quitting Ardour (5.12) leaves its window open, and a forced termination is mandatory.
The Command Line reads as such :

Butler drops pool trash
caught signal - shutting down.

And nothing else, a CTRL C ends it.

See the video here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/161QJcuoXi2lTDPsN38kpN9t0RgXtnzkG/view?usp=sharing

A few points:

• this is Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, have had the problem with both Unity and Mate
  • the video shows it happens with ALSA as a backend too
  • the “zombie” window is still movable/resizable, although its content is never refreshed

Not a huge problem anyway, but Ardour is the only program that behaves as such.
Kind regards,
Edouard

Small addendum: we found out by investigating with Dr. Gareus that reinstalling Ardour 5.12 gets rid of the problem. Not an explanation nor a solution, but a good workaround.

1 Like