Trouble with a couple of plugins - ignoring invalid LV2 plugins

Running KX Studio 12.10
Ardour 3.1
(built from revision 3.1-10-ged1f310)

In the log im getting

[INFO]: LV2: Discovering 482 plugins
[WARNING]: Ignoring invalid LV2 plugin http://home.gna.org/lv2vocoder/1
[WARNING]: Ignoring invalid LV2 plugin http://miplug.in/plugins/dynamic5band/mono
[WARNING]: Ignoring invalid LV2 plugin http://miplug.in/plugins/dynamic5band/stereo

The vocoder i dont bother about, but i believe the dynamic5band is a plugin i just installed and its not showing up in the plugin list.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/teliasopia/files/latest/download?source=files

from that site they install fine but are not showing and in the logs it seems to complain about invalid lv2 plugins.

I also have another problem with eq10q which is a really nice looking fully parametric 10 band eq plugin which just causes ardour to crash, no error, double click the plugin to bring up the gui and it just quits, which im assuming is a segfault.

Hers ardours log form starting up from command line

Error opening file /usr/lib/lv2/carla.lv2/manifest.ttl (No such file or directory)
lilv_world_load_bundle(): error: Error reading file:///usr/lib/lv2/carla.lv2/manifest.ttl
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: Duplicate plugin http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/eq/eq10qm
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: … found in file:///usr/lib/lv2/sapistaEQv2.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: … and file:///usr/local/lib/lv2/sapistaEQv2.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: Duplicate plugin http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/eq/eq10qs
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: … and file:///usr/local/lib/lv2/sapistaEQv2.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: Duplicate plugin http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/eq/eq1qm
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: Duplicate plugin http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/eq/eq1qs
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: Duplicate plugin http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/eq/eq4qm
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: Duplicate plugin http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/eq/eq4qs
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: Duplicate plugin http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/eq/eq6qm
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: Duplicate plugin http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/eq/eq6qs
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: Duplicate plugin http://hyperglitch.com/dev/VocProc
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: … found in file:///usr/lib/lv2/vocproc.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: … and file:///usr/local/lib/lv2/vocproc.lv2/
bnd txt domain [gtk2_ardour3] to /opt/Ardour-3.1.10-dbg/share/locale
Ardour3.1 (built using 3.1-10-ged1f310 and GCC version 4.4.6)
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:77: error: unexpected identifier reliefstyle', expected character}’
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.1.10-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui_default.conf
Loading user ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.1.10-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui.conf
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.1.10-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui_dark.rc
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:77: error: unexpected identifier reliefstyle', expected character}’
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.1.10-dbg/etc/ardour_system.rc
Loading user configuration file /home/alex/.config/ardour3/ardour.rc
Using SSE optimized routines
Announcement is:
error: failed to expand CURIE param:OscillatorControls' error: attempt to add quad with NULL field error: failed to expand CURIEparam:OscillatorControls’
error: attempt to add quad with NULL field
error: failed to expand CURIE param:OscillatorControls' error: attempt to add quad with NULL field error: failed to expand CURIEparam:OscillatorControls’
error: failed to expand CURIE :symbol' error: attempt to add quad with NULL field error: failed to expand CURIE:symbol’
error: failed to expand CURIE :symbol' error: attempt to add quad with NULL field lilv_plugin_load_ports_if_necessary(): error: Plugin <http://home.gna.org/lv2vocoder/1> port symbol600’ is invalid
lilv_plugin_load_ports_if_necessary(): error: Plugin http://miplug.in/plugins/dynamic5band/mono port symbol attack-B1' is invalid lilv_plugin_load_ports_if_necessary(): error: Plugin <http://miplug.in/plugins/dynamic5band/stereo> port symbolrelease-B1’ is invalid
error: failed to expand CURIE foaf:name' error: attempt to add quad with NULL field error: failed to expand CURIEfoaf:homepage’
error: failed to expand CURIE foaf:mbox' error: attempt to add quad with NULL field error: failed to expand CURIEfoaf:name’
error: failed to expand CURIE foaf:homepage' error: attempt to add quad with NULL field error: failed to expand CURIEfoaf:mbox’

and this is what happens when try and open up eq10q pluggin

(ardour-3.0:4178): glibmm-ERROR **:
unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler:
what: std::bad_alloc

lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: Duplicate plugin lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: ... found in file:///usr/lib/lv2/sapistaEQv2.lv2/ lilv_world_add_plugin(): error: ... and file:///usr/local/lib/lv2/sapistaEQv2.lv2/

You have the EQ10Q (and possibly others) installed to /usr/local/lib/lv2 and /usr/lib/lv2
this has been known to cause instability in the past.

and this is what happens when try and open up eq10q pluggin

(ardour-3.0:4178): glibmm-ERROR **:
unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler:
what: std::bad_alloc

This was the subject of another thread about the EQ10Q. My personal opinion is that the EQ10 still has some way to go before it can be considered usable.

yeah i thought it wasnt an ardour problem, infact the vocoder error has been present since i first installed ardour, but didnt bother about it since i dont intent to use it.

I’ll try removing the duplicates and see if that helps. Im kx studio now as ubuntu studio had too many problems.

No more duplicate plugin errors but still getting invalid plugins for the multiband one, im downloading ardour 3.2 and see if the problem still persists

I managed to find the thread you mentioned seemed like there was a bit of discussion about it but no easy fix as some got it to work while others didnt.

same error with ardour 3.2 googling didnt help much, i give up on this plugin. Shame as it looked really good and exactly what i was looking for. Looks similar to some eq’s in digital desks.

@veda_sticks: There is an alternative:

http://www.linuxdsp.co.uk/download/lv2/download_black_eq/index.html

Not free though… :slight_smile:

i have been watching your plugins for quite a while, and have tried out a couple of the free versions. I definatly will be buying them. Im kicking myself for not doing it when i could.

But due to circumstances it cant happen at the moment.

your plugins have everything i want, and when i can, i will buy your plugin packs.

But as of now, bills and depts come firts. Im using ardour for personal projects and small projects that dont generate income at the moment. If i get anything that does though i will invest it in your plugins.

If you are looking for a cost effective DAW, then in some sense there is a case for just using Windows - it comes pre-installed on most PCs anyway (unless you wiped it to install linux…) - a Reaper license is a minimal cost (compared to all the other hardware expense required to make recording / producing music possible and / or useful), generally all the drivers for whichever audio interface you have will be freely available and just work and the quality of the (huge) amount of free VST plugins available is far superior to any of the free plugins for linux. (This isn’t pro-windows or anti-linux, just an objective look at the situation, and from a personal point of view I’m finding that many of the things that attracted me as a user to linux as a platform for audio are not as relevant as they once were - which is regrettable after several years spent trying to improve the linux audio user experience…)

@Boesmann: That’s not really what I was trying to say… but, if you look at the situation objectively then what appears is that there are some paid for plugins / DAWs for linux - Mixbus for example, (Ardour if you choose to pay for the pre-compiled download), energy XT, Tracktion, and the Loomer plugins, in addition to my own work. And there are of course, some free plugins on linux - but most are not up to the standard of free VSTs (that’s just a fact, its not pro / anti anything its just the way it is - the best free linux plugins I’ve seen are also ported from Windows VSTs)
So what I’m really saying is that if anyone just wants a DAW on a PC (GPL or other politics aside), with a vast number of high quality free plugins / VSTi’s that just work and can’t afford to pay for software (any software, not just mine) then somewhat counter-intuitively, and regrettably, Windows might be the best / most reliable option.
If that seems absurd, I think its more a reflection on the state of linux audio - and after years spent trying to improve matters, that is a source of deep frustration and regret to me. My feeling at the moment is that the more you push against the things that are wrong with linux audio the harder they (or the developers) push back and I’m not sure that’s going to end well.

I guess this belongs in a thread all of its own, but what I will say (and partly I’m playing devil’s advocate here, in order to highlight the fact that there are still some important things to work out in linux audio, both in - joined up - planning and implementation) is that when I came to linux as a user I found a platform which was more robust for audio (and more configurable) than other operating systems at the time - but what it lacked was high quality processing / instruments and stable hardware / drivers.
I had hoped that in time it would evolve into a stable platform, for which all kinds of developers (commercial, open source, proprietary, hobbyist, professional etc) could be encouraged to contribute - and in time that would bring more hardware vendors in too. Unfortunately, I now find that greater fragmentation across distributions, and so many arbitary and potentially disruptive changes in the core components being proposed (and then abandoned) make it more difficult than ever to commit resources to new projects, knowing that some arbitary (and temporary) change to one or other of those core linux components / standards / APIs etc might at any time require a complete re-write of all my work so far… (which would likely have to be released as a free update) - I’ve actually re-written some code three or more times already to be compatible with proposed / supposed changes that never got released into mainstream distros…
I hope I’m wrong, and that it works out better, but these are precisely the kind of arguments I have to defend against whenever I try to recommend linux audio (in any kind of commercial sense) and its becoming an unnecessary and time consuming diversion from actually producing more software (and may lead to - mainstream - linux audio losing or failing to attract developers with the necessary expertise)

quoting myself - because I’m unable to edit my own posts for some reason…

but these are precisely the kind of arguments I have to defend against whenever I try to recommend linux audio
*as in, the points I've outlined in my previous text, and not anyone else's comments (just to clarify if necessary)

@Boesmann - Mike is certainly and obviously able to speak for himself, but I would like to point out to you that he doesn’t “huffishly” advise anyone, he’s a reasonable commentator and a highly accomplished developer. I’ve been into Linux audio a long time, and I happen to agree with most of his assessment. My work is primarily with Csound or straight-forward acoustic recording (blues etc), and for those purposes Linux audio gives me all and more than I need. But for my friends who write EDM and other machine-centric musics Linux audio is not doing them many favors, and they find themselves struggling with a lack of tools designed for their specific purposes. Yes, some devs complain pretty loudly about the situation, and they have a right - there are real problems at the lower levels, whether you’re aware of them or not. Even noise from a Jeff Hubbard (PyDAW) gets my respect because he’s actually doing something about it, just like Mike, Paul, Drobilla, Rui, and so many others. Perhaps you don’t understand what they deal with at their levels, in which case perhaps your opinion could be better informed. At any rate, leave off the advice, make some more music. It sounds better. :slight_smile:

It may not seem to be the best idea for a (commercial) developer of linux applications not to recommend linux as the obvious choice, but I think in order for it have any chance of being the obvious choice, sometimes its necessary to step back and consider whether it actually is the best fit in a given situation (and if not, why not, and therefore how it could be improved). I was just giving an honest appraisal of the choices that are available for anyone wanting to use a PC for audio.

@Boesmann:

Why don’t you make the switch if it is such an advisable choice?
I use linux, Mac and Windows PCs - professionally for product development - and as a user. My preference is linux, but these are all just different ways to get a particular job done, and you have to choose which one works best. I prefer linux, but as a user and a developer, I’m also not going to sacrifice usablility just for some masochistic allegiance to one operating system.
My software already is available on other platforms, (where, it generally gets significantly more interest than it does on linux…) and I have also been a contributor to some ‘big name’ products from other pro-audio companies.
I remain committed to linux audio development, but these are going to be challenging times in which to make the necessary progress.
(For the record, I wasn’t advising users to buy any particular OS, but it remains a fact that most PCs come with one particular OS pre-installed, and in that case, for anyone on a limited budget (GPL politics aside) that can be a very cost effective way to make music - which is kind of what its all about - or should be. Its not completely cost-free to set up a Windows based DAW in this way, but there’s little point in having something that is cost free, if it - or its components - don’t do what you need… Which is somewhere near where this all started)

@DavePhillips: I think you summed it up more eloquently than I did :slight_smile:

@Boesman

That is just BS plain and simple. Many of the design decisions for Ardour these days come straight from consulting with users that have no experience in programming. Sorry but not everyone is out to get you as a user, if they were open source software probably wouldn’t exist.

The point of both dp (who last I checked was just a user as well, not a programmer) and linuxdsp, is that for some people Linux is not the best option available, and in fact may be the worst for some workflows. It is improving but it is not the best option for everyone.

And many things don’t “just work” with Linux audio, and for new users especially. I can’t tell you how many times we have to explain how to configure a system for real time preemption for jack to people. Yes some distros get this right, but many do not, and most of the ones people go to first because they have heard the name elsewhere when considering to switch to Linux, don’t. Many audio interfaces do not work in Linux due to lack of vendor supported drivers. And for many audio engineers, there aren’t always comparable plugins. Restoration plugins are the biggest issue for me personally right now, but those aren’t the only ones either.

As I said all of this is getting better, but it isn’t all there yet. And for some people Linux is not the best choice. This has nothing to do with programmers complaining, it is a simple fact of life.

Now all that being said Linux can be a great and viable choice for many people, if they start with an audio oriented distro, and meet the audio hardware requirements to run thei interface on Linux, and there are sufficient plugins for their particular workflow. This could cover a lot of people these days, just not everyone and far less than just the ‘full blown professional’ not being able to work, which by the way, I am likely what you would consider a full blown professional and have used Linux for my professional work for years. It happens that I was able to get it to work in my particular workflow years ago, but I also know more than your average newcomer about Linux system administration and yes I do some programming on occasion. My point being that things in that area aren’t really cut and dried either.

just a quick update.

I managed to get the EQ10Q plugin to work. Im glad i did its become pretty usefull even if im only using a couple of the bands out of the 10 that it offers.

I removed all traces of the EQ10Q plugin and installed the latest version from the eq10q website.

Now it works , ardour doesnt crash so im guessing the Dev has sorted that issue.

There is still some stability issues, i inserted the stereo plugin on a mono track, no problems.

Inserted the stereo plugin on another plugin and on playback that track plus the reverbs it was sending to went bizerk with distorion track levels maxing out :confused:

using the mono version fixed that odd quirk.

anyway its working, i think that i may have possibly had 2 versions on the system so he old one was causing problems even though the new one was installed aswell.

My software already is available on other platforms, (where, it generally gets significantly more interest than it does on linux..)

Sorry to be off topic but i’m curious about that. Do you really sell much more for Windows OS than for Linux ? How much more ?

Because looking at Audiofanzine (THE huge french speaking website about music and audio) forums about your products, i don’t see any special interest. Mostly disdain i would say, just another one making plugins, there are already billions of plugins (and as you mentionned free ones that are quite good) on Windows. Maybe you can see by yourself using an automatic translator, it’s here : http://fr.audiofanzine.com/overtone-dsp/forums/
Not even one of the 400000 registered users of this website wrote a review of your products.

In contrast i had the feeling that your “status” in the Linux audio world was much better as you’re the only one to sell professional quality plugins. And i guess that any Linux audio user know it.

@youki

There is a difference between respect and interest or sales. Just because we respect the work of LinuxDSP in a different way than other platforms, doesn’t mean he gets nearly as many sales or interest as he does from those platforms, if for no other reason than simply the number of users. The proportion of users can be much lower on those platforms and still make more sales than you will on Linux.

By the way, you certainly won’t see LinuxDSP listed as LinuxDSP when talking about the other platforms, he sells under a different brand for at least OS X, if not Windows as well.

Seablade

So let’s say that it’s the point of my question, what means exactly the sentence “where, it generally gets significantly more interest than it does on linux”. Sorry i’m not a native english speaker, maybe i missed something.

By the way, you certainly won't see LinuxDSP listed as LinuxDSP when talking about the other platforms, he sells under a different brand for at least OS X, if not Windows as well.

Maybe still due to this difference of language again i don’t understand your point here. I perfectly know that it’s OvertoneDSP for Windows and Mac, the link i provided is about this label, not the LinuxDSP one. But as far as i know, the same algorithms are used for the plugins on the three OS, aren’t they ?
To be clear, i mean the FC-70 on Linux provide the same sound than on Windows or Mac, whatever the company name used. So what does it change in my questions ?

I generally measure the interest in a product by the number of downloads and / or sales rather than from comments (or the lack of them) on forums.

Ok, thanks, it’s short but i think that answer my question. I had indeed a wrong interpretation of the situation. It leads me to another question : as it seems that Windows and Mac are easier for you to work with, and with a much better financial result, are you going to still release your future plugins on Linux (that if i understood well what i read from you seems to be a pain is the ass, sorry if i’m rude, i didn’t find a better word) ?

The existing linux plugins will still be supported (for as long as the underlying linux audio ‘ecosystem’ provides a viable platform for that to be possible) however, as to whether or not new products will be available on all platforms depends on the suitability of each product (supporting a diverse range of operating systems spreads / minimizes risk at the expense of more development time, but it has also become apparent that some products which are popular with users on Windows / Mac - and I’m not specifically refering only to my own work - don’t alsways translate successfully to the linux audio userbase).