Trouble launching Ardour in OS X 10.4.9 G5

Have X11 installed (it shows up as running plus I have had Open Office running previously).
Double clicking on Ardour begins the boot but ends with a quit before anything happens.
Console log is as follows:

===== Sunday, May 20, 2007 9:49:03 PM US/Eastern =====
bash: no job control in this shell
2007-05-20 21:49:11.289 defaults[10710]
The domain/default pair of (.GlobalPreferences, AppleCollationOrder) does not exist
dyld: Library not loaded: libs/ardour/libardour.dylib
Referenced from: /Volumes/G5 Data/Alternate Application folder/Audio:Music/Ardour-2.0.2/Ardour2.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ardour
Reason: image not found
May 20 21:49:11 Power-Mac-G5 crashdump[10718]: ardour crashed
May 20 21:49:11 Power-Mac-G5 crashdump[10718]: crash report written to: /Users/intlgraph/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ardour.crash.log

Any suggestions? I have rebuilt permissions already; no effect.

Thanks in advence.

I fear that this might be another bug in the startup script. It seems ardour is installed in a directory structure containing a colon. Please see if moving Ardour to a directory structure which does not contain the ‘:’ character helps. If that helps, please report back so we can fix the startup script.

Otherwise, the contents of /Users/intlgraph/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ardour.crash.log might shed some light on this issue.

Looks like a rogue colon problem. Removing the colon from the directory name solved the problem. Ardour now boots.

Thanks

You should avoid using colons in file and directory names on the Mac.

http://www.imc.org/ietf-822/old-archive1/msg03346.html

It’s not actually a colon when you look at it in the Mac Finder. It is a / which gets translated to a : at a lower level.

It has something to do with how the Mac OSX interfaces with Windows. We have been getting away with using “/” for a while now even though it’s use is discouraged because of the compatability issue with Windows.

Freedom of expression can get you in trouble sometimes…