Trouble getting Ardour running.

Hi guys. I’ve been a lurker for some time, decided to take the plunge. Testing Ubuntu Lucid Lynx out on my girlfriends old Compaq Presario V2000. I havce Jack Control installed, ALSA and Ardour. I’ve launched Jack Control first, then Ardour, but I get an error: " Ardour couldn’t start Jack, There are several possible reasons:

1. You requested audio parameters that are not supported…
  2. JACK is running as another user.

Please consider the possibilities, and perhaps try different parameters."

Any suggestions? Is it the built in audio card that’s the issue?

I strongly suspect this is an issue with failing to start JACK on ubuntu which results from not having added your user name to the audio group.

Open a terminal (console) window and type:

sudo usermod -a -G audio username

where username is the name you login with.

You will be prompted for a password - use your normal password (that you login with). Re-start the computer. I recommend you uninstall pulse-audio too. At the terminal type:

sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio

There are some plugins on my website:

http://www.linuxdsp.co.uk

Ok, got it up and running. Thank you. Now to figure out which interface to buy. I wish my Apogee duet would work.
Hard to find plugin inserts. Downloading the manual now. Again, many thanks.

Yes I am familiar with your great sounding and looking plug ins. Wrapping my head around getting them chained through Jack to Ardour. For the time being, I will keep using Logic till I get a good grasp on producing with Linux. Would be great if you developed a vocoder. Keep up the good work. Thanks for your help on this.

Also, is there a site to keep up to date on plug in releases? I use maxosxaudio, curious if there’s something similar for Linux.

If you use the LV2 plugins, they can be used within Ardour (right click in the black boxes above or below a fader in the ardour mixer and a drop down menu should appear with the installed plugins in various categories, select the one you want to insert into the mixer channel). This might be easier than the JACK versions.

There’s a ladspa vocoder plugin here: http://ppa.launchpad.net/autostatic/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/v/vocoder-ladspa/vocoder-ladspa_0.3~autostatic2_i386.deb

“wrong architecture i386” error

you must be running ubuntu 64-bit. Here’s the link: http://ppa.launchpad.net/autostatic/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/v/vocoder-ladspa/vocoder-ladspa_0.3~autostatic2_amd64.deb

Hi, i’m getting the same problem as ‘The prep’. I followed the instructions in the post from linuxdsp, but still had the same problem.

here is a copy paste of what I am getting in my message window from jack control:

13:17:56.491 Patchbay deactivated.
13:17:56.604 Statistics reset.
13:17:56.629 Startup script…
13:17:56.630 artsshell -q terminate
13:17:56.633 ALSA connection graph change.
sh: artsshell: not found
13:17:57.110 Startup script terminated with exit status=32512.
13:17:57.110 JACK is starting…
13:17:57.111 /usr/bin/jackd -v -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -i2 -o2
jackd 0.118.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O’Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK is running in realtime mode, but you are not allowed to use realtime scheduling.
Please check your /etc/security/limits.conf for the following lines
and correct/add them:
@audio - rtprio 100
@audio - nice -10
After applying these changes, please re-login in order for them to take effect.
You don’t appear to have a sane system configuration. It is very likely that you
encounter xruns. Please apply all the above mentioned changes and start jack again!
13:17:57.139 JACK was started with PID=1700.
13:17:57.164 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
13:17:57.164 Post-shutdown script…
13:17:57.165 killall jackd
13:17:57.312 ALSA connection change.
jackd: no process found
13:17:57.573 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
13:17:59.319 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.

I ran the @ audio command in terminal, but it hasn’t seemed to have done anything? I have sane installed as well, but acording to this message I don’t? is there somthing im missing, cause im not really n experianced ubuntu user either :stuck_out_tongue:

sane as opposite to insane, not the sane program :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-pam_limits.html
“The pam_limits PAM module sets limits on the system resources that can be obtained in a user-session. By default limits are taken from the /etc/security/limits.conf config file”

http://jackaudio.org/faq
"How should I configure my Linux 2.6 Operating System?
Real-time scheduling

JACK requires real-time scheduling privileges for reliable, dropout-free operation. The server requests these privileges when running with the -R option. (default)

Most recent distributions use PAM to manage the permissions of users on a relatively granular level. If the file /etc/security/limits.conf exists on your system, it is using PAM. In order to configure PAM such that normal users can run jackd with realtime privileges make sure the following lines exist:

@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock unlimited

This assumes that the users that are allowed to run jack are members of the group “audio”. If you want to grant this right to one specific user you can replace @audio with the username of that user. Usually the limits.conf file contains some instructions on how to use it. Note that after modifying limits.conf and/or changing your group membership you must logout and then login again before any of this will take effect."

According to Paul, the nice setting is irrelevant.

To edit a file as administrator, you can do, for example:

gksudo gedit /etc/security/limits.conf

The PAM limits conf file also may exist inside the /etc/security/limits.conf.d directory. Recent jackd debian packages (included in debian squeeze and ubuntu lucid) have a post installation script that creates /etc/security/limits.conf.d/audio.conf with those lines.

To check the user limits, use the “ulimit” command. “ulimit -r” prints the realtime priority limit and “ulimit -l” the memlock limit.

Sorry dude, no idea what that all means LOL

There are chat rooms where, if you are lucky, someone can help you in realtime so it is much more easy for you and for the willing helpers.

server:
irc.freenode.net
channel:
#ardour

You can also try in:
#ubuntustudio

You can use pidgin, xchat… You can also use your web browser and enter this URL:

webchat.freenode.net

Just choose a nickname and enter the channel name.