trouble compiling under Ubuntu 8.04

Alright so I am trying to compile Ardour version 2.1.1 from source on Ubuntu 8.04 after experiencing several severe bugs with bot Ardour 2.3.1 and Ardour 2.4.1 under Ubuntu Studio 8.04. After solving many, many dependencies I am stuck here:

libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.cc: In constructor ‘Glib::IConv::IConv(const std::string&, const std::string&)’:
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.cc:51: error: ‘g_assert’ was not declared in this scope
scons: *** [libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Any suggestions?

I can always go back to Ubuntu studio 7.10 but I don’t really want to so any advice would be appreciated.

hmmm…I didn’t have any problems with Kubuntu 8.04. here are all the dependencies that I use:

sudo apt-get install -y scons libtool pkg-config gettext
libjack-dev libasound2-dev qjackctl libxml2-dev
libsamplerate-dev libraptor-dev liblrdf-dev
libgnomecanvas2-dev libboost-dev liblo-dev libglib-dev
libgtkmm-dev libsndfile-dev wine-dev automake

There is one more required for 2.4 on, and I think it is fftw3-dev, but not 100% sure (I’m not at home right now)…make sure you enter the above on only one line, I broke it up so that it would be readable. Also, this is for the VST version, but should work fine for the normal non-vst version as well.

mm0

oh yeah, I also do kdebase-dev.

Did all that and still:

libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.cc: In constructor ‘Glib::IConv::IConv(const std::string&, const std::string&)’:
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.cc:51: error: ‘g_assert’ was not declared in this scope
scons: *** [libs/glibmm2/glibmm/convert.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Thank you for trying to help but I am still stuck.

since ardour-2.0.5 is in the ubuntu source repositories, you can use apt to install all the build dependencies automatically:

sudo apt-get build-dep ardour

Not completely sure, but probably the dependencies are the same for the version you are trying to compile, at least the gnome/gtk related ones that seem to be the cause of your trouble.

So after that, try again to compile.

good luck!

You cannot build 2.1 on a system with newer glib libraries. The glib guys rearranged their header files, which broke Gtkmm. We have fixed this starting with 2.4.

Rather than waste your time with this, why not tell us more about the issues you had with later versions of Ardour so we can fix them. There are many very important bug fixes in 2.{2,3,4} …

sorry didn’t mean to double post

There is no edit cursor since 2.2.
Take a look at the 2.2 release announcement.

Alright well:

1. there is no edit cursor

2. importing audio results in an extra track even when the add to existing track option is chosen

3. copy and/or paste functions are broken

Agreed there is not meant to be an edit cursor. The other 2 bugs stand. Not being able to copy/paste is bad.

Hi cagedrefrain!
As for point 2. I don’t do much audio importing but the options I see in 2.4.1 are (1) import audio as a new track, (2) import audio to region list or (3) import audio to tape track. Importing audio to region list works. It creates a region that you can drag to your existing track.
As for point 3., copy and paste works fine. I select a region, copy it. Then select a track by clicking just below the buttons or the horizontal fader so that it highligths in blue. The region will paste onto that track at the edit point (playhead, marker or mouse).

My opinion is that all these tweaks in the last versions have been for the better, without any doubt.
Developers and users’ discussions are helping create a wonderful DAW. We shouldn’t forget that, although more than usable, ardour is a work in progress.
I encourage you to work with ardour 2.4.1 which in my experience is the best and more stable version so far.
Cheers
Pablo