Trigger Mixer scene from OSC or MIDI

Hi,

I’m looking to use Ardour together with a multi-channel soundcard to replace my aging Yamaha 01V.

I need a way to recall mixing presets automatically from external control sources such as OSC or MIDI Control Change messages.

I’ve looked into Mixer Scenes, and they seem to match what I need for storing mix snapshots. However, I have a few questions:

  • The number of available scenes (8–12 in the UI) seems too limited for a full live show.
  • I’m not sure how to trigger scene recall from external sources like MIDI or OSC (or possibly a WebSocket API, if one exists).

Could someone point me in the right direction regarding:

  • whether Mixer Scenes can be addressed beyond the UI limit
  • and how they can be triggered externally (MIDI/OSC or otherwise)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Under the hood there is no limit (well, 2^64). Scenes > 12 can currently be triggered via Lua scripting or select ctrl surfaces only.

OSC allows the following messages:

/store_mixer_scene i
/recall_mixer_scene i

e.g. on Unix Terminal, one can run

oscsend osc.udp://localhost:3819 /store_mixer_scene i 12345
oscsend osc.udp://localhost:3819 /recall_mixer_scene i 12345

Perfect ! That I did not find in the documentation .

As our show controller can send arbitrary osc messages, it’s what we need.

However, a small lua script allowing to store (and recall) scenes directly from would be useful. Any idea were to start ?

Ardour comes with a session script (Menu > Edit > Lua Scripts > Script Manager) to recall scenes as you roll through markers on the timeline. That may also serve as example:

As for general API, search for “mixer_scene” in the reference manual: The Ardour Manual - Lua Bindings Class Reference

I hope that helps to get you started and don’t hesitate to ask if you need more information.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.