Translation time for upcoming Ardour 8.0 release

We’re now about a week away from the release of Ardour 8.0. We are in a total string freeze (where we guarantee not to change any translatable text at all before release). It’s probably a good time for the translation team(s) to start working on the update for 8.0.

Currently Ardour translations for Czech, German, Greek, Spanish, UK English, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portugese (Brazilian and Portugese versions), Russian, Swedish and Chinese. If you’d like to add another language, you can find the instructions for creating (and maintaining) translations here:

If you’re an existing translator for one of the above languages, please try to find the time to go through the update process as soon as possible. Your work is much appreciated, and we’d like to have as many languages updated as possible before the 8.0 release.

3 Likes

Have you guys considered adding Ardour to https://weblate.org/ ?

1 Like

I haven’t looked into that one specifically. The last time we looked into various cloud-based translation approaches, none of them appeared to integrate with GNU gettext, which we use throughout the software. Do you know if weblate does this?

Another issue with various online translation tools is that just translating text will not produce good results for authoring tools such as a DAW.

Often compromises will have to be made for specific buttons and menus in order to retain a nice layout. For this one has to be able to run the application.

Weblate does support Gettext Translating software using GNU gettext - Weblate 5.0.2 documentation
I agree with Robin: context is key (although not just for authoring tools) and it may be tricky to get things right. However it may be a good aid in getting a first pass at a translation which can later be fine tuned by running the application itself.

Hi here, I started a french translation update with the Github PR #819.
It is draft for now but I will try to make the whole necessary before the end of the week.

Thanks a lot.

3 Likes

Maybe you already know transifex, I participate in some open source projects that the translation teams are there… it doesn’t seem like a bad tool to me. The good thing is that several people can collaborate on a translation without managing patches or PR’s… Simply, then the developers download the latest .po

I think we’ve already explained why this workflow doesn’t work very well in a GUI with lots of labelled elements.

Congratulations for this upcoming release, I’m so exited to test it!

1 Like

Ardour’s Korean translator uses Transifex. Every time we have to clean their translation up from duplicates. Not sure at which point things break, but that doesn’t put a lot of faith into Transifex for me (although I’ve used it in the past too).