Tracks randomly get silent

I have been problems with a project in which some of the audio tracks, apparently randomly, get silent. (They fade out quickly.) Eventually they come back.

There are very little active plugins at the session (at this point), and most tracks are simply printed audio tracks from MIDI tracks.

Usually, stopping the playback and starting again (at the same section) brings the sound back. (There is no automation, and the files are not corrupted, as the same region sometimes play, sometimes doesn’t.) The DSP load at around 60%, so it doesn’t seem to be the problem.

It happens in versions 8.1 and 8.2 (both official binaries) under Debian Sid. It seems to happen only with this particular project.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be happening?

That sounds like you are running the demo build. Which OS, and how are you starting Ardour?
Follow the path of whichever start method you use (e.g. if starting from CLI then use which command to find the first instance in the path, if using a desktop shortcut then view the shortcut in a text editor to determine which path the shortcut is starting). Perhaps you had demo version installed at one point and that is the version still launching.

Thanks for the reply!

I don’t think that it is a demo version, as only some tracks get silent, not all of them at once. Also, it only happens with a single project (I am pretty sure).

$ which Ardour8
Ardour8 is /usr/local/bin/Ardour8

$ ll /usr/local/bin/Ardour8
Permissions Size User Group Date Modified Name
lrwxrwxrwx    29 root staff 21 Dec 06:45  /usr/local/bin/Ardour8 -> /opt/Ardour-8.1.0/bin/ardour8*

$ /opt/Ardour-8.1.0/bin/ardour8 --version
Ardour8.1.0 (built using 8.1 and GCC version 6.3.0 20170516)

$ /opt/Ardour-8.2.0/bin/ardour8 --version
Ardour8.2.0 (built using 8.2 and GCC version 6.3.0 20170516)

OK, I guess the easy answer wasn’t relevant to your situation.

Well, it turns out it was my OvertoneDSP plugins that were running in demo mode, as I accidentally moved the license files… So your remark was in fact quite helpful, thanks!

But sorry for the noise… All user error here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.