Track reordering woes

I am having trouble reordering tracks and buses using the “Tracks/Buses” pane. I have projects containing many (30+) tracks of audio only (no midi). I am not running any plugins, it is just bare audio without any post-processing (like panning or normalization).

Due to the number of tracks, I often want to reorder the list of tracks so that related tracks are grouped together. To do this, I move to the “Tracks/Buses” pane, and drag-drop the tracks into the order I desire. However, I’m having problems…

My problems fall into two categories:

[1] Drag-drop causes Ardour to crash. This problem intermittent, occuring around 30% of the time I try to drag-drop, and not necessarily with the same tracks. It doesn’t seem to be reproducable.

[2] When I add a new track, or when I change the name of an existing track, the list of tracks/buses is arbitrarily reordered. Each time I do this, it seems to choose a different ordering (I originally thought it would select chronological or alphabetic ordering, but neither is the case - it seems to be entirely random).

The problems are not tied to a particular project - it happens across all my projects.

Is anyone else having similar issues? Can anyone recommend some kind of fix or alternative for achieving reordering?

I run Ardour 2.1 (r.2496 from Kubuntu 7.10) with Jack an Freebob (same repos).

Cheers,

can I recommend you install 2.3 ( which I’m pretty sure is in the ubuntu repos), and see if this fixes your problem? There have been many bugfixes since then, but I admit I never had that problem with 2.1…

2.3 is not actually in the Ubuntu Gutsy repos (or at least, not universe or multiverse.)

http://www.getdeb.net/app/Ardour

is the place to get the newest version for. NB this is not supported by Ubuntu, but I personally have absolutely no qualms about using anything from getdeb.net because it seems perfectly stable to me. I’m afraid I can’t help with your original question, though.

I’ll try 2.3 then (I didn’t compile it from source because of the jack/freebob requirements) and see if that fixes it. I’m still a little puzzled that Ardour made it through to 2.1 with an issue like this, however… Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

Update: I tried 2.3 (built from source) and it is considerably more stable, especially over track orderings.

I have to say I’m very impressed with 2.3, and I’m quite surprised that the upgrades since 2.1 didn’t deserve a major version - great work! I do miss the edit playhead, however :’(