The "hi-this-is-me-and-what-i-do"-thread

Hey!

First of, I’m sure this isn’t the appropriate section in the forum for this type of thread so please move it if that’s the case.

My thought with this thread was for people to come in and introduce themselves and their use of ardour by a set of questions. I’ve been using ardour for almost a year now with ever increasing skills and I’ve become more and more curious/eager to know how other people use it aswell.

So basically, answer these questions if you feel like it!

Your age
How long you’ve been using ardour
What do you use it for? (tracking, mixing, mastering, audio fx, audio for films etc)
Professionally/semi-pro/hobby?
What type of music do you do with ardour?
What other programs do you use aswell in your linux audio-setup?
What’s your favourite plugins (lets say compressor, eq, delay, reverb and misc) and do you use them internally in ardour or externally using jackrack etc?
What’s the greatest strength in your setup?
What’s the biggest weakness in your setup?

I’ll start myself of course :).

Your age

Almost a year

What do you use it for? (tracking, mixing, mastering, audio fx, audio for films etc)
Both tracking and mixing

Very much a hobby!

Mostly hiphop and acoustic guitar+song

Seq24 for sequencing (i’m gonna learn Rosegarden asap)
Hydrogen for drums
Qsynth/Qsampler + a few well selected sf2’s and gig’s for virtual instruments
Zynaddsubfx for synths
Jamin for spectral analysis + general “premaster”

What’s your favourite plugins (lets say compressor, eq, delay, reverb and misc) and do you use them internally in ardour or externally using jackrack etc?
Compressor: Calf Compressor LV2
EQ: Calf 12band EQ LV2
Delay: Calf Vintage Delay LV2
Reverb: Calf Reverb LV2
Misc: Barrys Satan Maximizer and some FreeVerb

I use them all internally in ardour, but I’m looking at trying some with jackrack and patchage

The ability to rewire everything the way I want with jack and the fact that everything I use is completely free

Besides not actually owning a control surface I’m guessing it would be having to use a RT-kernel that messes with alot of other stuff that the generic one does not.

Your age

5 years

Recording and mixing of music

hobby / semi-pro

Real music :wink:

Linux sampler, jamin, jkmeter, and a few others on occasion

Internally - LinuxDSP plugs (LV2) Calf (LV2) - Whatever sounds best on the project in question. No specific favs

I can do everything I want to do.

I need to rebuild my audition room in the next 3 months…

Your age

3 years

Recording editing mixing mastering

professionnal hobby !

blues reggae dub rock pop

Linux sampler, Jamin, TapeUtape, Rosegarden, Fluidsynth, DSPplugins, Ardours’ plugin, QJackCtrl, Jconv, Guitarix,

most Internally - LinuxDSP plugs (LV2) Calf (LV2) - Jconv - LinuxDSP SR2A & co - preamp sim with tone control - barrys maximiser - sc4 comp - 10ch EQ - 3ch EQ+shelve - flanger and chorus

can do almost everything wanted. QJack is the definitive patchbay.

own talent ! and maybe miss something like Addictive Drums

Your age

2 years

Recording, live performances, editing, mixing

Hobby turning to semi-pro

Dark ambient, industrial

Pure Data, Muse, Yoshimi, amSynth, Hydrogen, LMMS, Bristol, Audacity, Seq24, Patchage

I use mostly filters, overdrives and delays, preferably internally

Modularity and flexibility

I am not still able to get rid of Windows

Your age

2 years

Recording and mixing of music

hobby

post-punk, electropunk

What other programs do you use as well in your linux audio-setup?

Bristol, Hydrogen, seq24, guitarix. I force myself to use just a few ones to stimulate creativity. So far it’s not really working :slight_smile:

I use Calf and Invada LV2 mostly. I’m planning to look at jconv and find a good EQ.

Flexibility and the ability to do things much more “organically” then what i did on Windows. It’s much more natural to me.

My computer is prone to xruns. I’ve tried many setups but so far, didn’t find the perfect one. Also my chain of recording sucks (cheap senheinser mic + Maudio MobilePre USB). I’ll probably invest a bit next year. Ah and also I’m still learning how to use Ardour… :wink:

Your age

5 Years+

Tracking and mixing music and testing my plugins

Professional

Whatever comes to mind

linuxDSP JACK plugins, some VSTs (using custom built linux - windowsVST host)

My own linuxDSP plugins - LV2 and JACK versions - Although I’ve tried and tested most of the alternative (LV2) plugins, regrettably I couldn’t find any that would reliably do what I needed, which is partly what prompted me to create my own.

JACK

Lack of supported pro-audio soundcards - although many are supported by ALSA and the excellent FFADO project we could really do with more manufacturers being a bit more supportive of linux audio. If anyone finds a soundcard they would like to use but which isn’t supported by linux, send the manufacturers a polite email telling them why they’ve lost a sale. They need to be aware how many sales are being lost due to lack of linux support to hopefully prompt better support.

@jy_moustache: If you’re looking for a good EQ then there are several you could try on my site:

http://www.linuxdsp.co.uk

Your age: 29
How long you’ve been using ardour: have toyed with Ardour since 2003, did my first full length album in 2005, and have been using Ardour exclusively since 2008.
What do you use it for? (tracking, mixing, mastering, audio fx, audio for films etc): Tracking, Mixing, Mastering, Live Mixing, Editing (my favorite editor EVER), Audio for films, and development for my home-made distribution: Dream Studio (dream.dickmacinnis.com)
Professionally/semi-pro/hobby?: Professional
What type of music do you do with ardour?: Rock, Country, Hip-Hop, Ambient, Heavy Metal, Folk, Blues…whatever I or the customer feels like doing that day.
What other programs do you use aswell in your linux audio-setup?: Hydrogen, Qtractor, SooperLooper, Zynaddsubfx, Bristol, Jamin, linuxdsp jack plugins, Meterbridge, ac3jack, NetJACK, Mixxx, TerminatorX, Rbd2midi, LiveMix, etc., etc., etc.
What’s your favourite plugins (lets say compressor, eq, delay, reverb and misc) and do you use them internally in ardour or externally using jackrack etc?: SC4 compressor, C* 7 band graphic EQ, autotalent, vocproc - I use all these internally (and whatever tickles my fancy as far as reverbs, delays, chorus, phaser, etc.), and I use linuxdsp jack plugins with Jamin for mastering externally. And although I don’t own a lot of outboard gear, I use anything I can get my hands on in that regard (friends, rentals, clients, etc.). Nothing beats running a direct recorded guitar track through every amp/speaker combo available and picking the best ones for the final mix.
What’s the greatest strength in your setup?: JACK. I can route absolutely anywhere, including to other machines on my network(like my ibook for AU plugins or NI synths, or a separate room for monitoring; all without the need to run extra cables), and I can record from any audio source with or without a microphone. JACK is like rewire on steroids with a laser beam mounted on its forehead.
What’s the biggest weakness in your setup?: None of my machines have more than one core, so I’m constantly using the aforementioned routing capabilities creatively to keep things running smoothly (Synths on one machine ->Ardour on tracking machine->Mastering in control room machine), but I’ll say it again: JACK rules. Without it, half the stuff I do would be impossible, and the other half would take 10 times as long while I wait for things to print.

Your age

• About 3 years

• Multi-track studio and live recording and mastering, I also distribute it within the AV Linux distro along with most of it’s contemporaries.

• Semi pro, I take the odd paying job when time and opportunity allows.

• Pretty “linear” stuff without much in the way of Looping, Synths and Effects. Rootsy stuff like Rock, Blues and Soul influenced Music.

• Mostly Qsynth for Electric Piano and Hammond Organ patches and Hydrogen for programmed Drums

• Pretty much all the linuxDSP stuff, Barry’s Satan Maximizer, I also have some pet Windows VST’s I can’t part with like Ericsound UniQ and ANWIDASoft DX Reverb Lite.

• An efficient Desktop Environment (LXDE) giving quick performance even on aging Single core P4/Athlon@1.8Ghz+. I would have to say the ability to back up my system to ISO and re-install it EXACTLY as it was in case of trouble with Remastersys. Also a reliable and full featured -RT Kernel that supports all my hardware including 2 M-Audio Delta 1010LT’s wired together and used with PCM_multi giving 16 channels +4 SPDIF for less that $400.00 USD.

• Vulnerabilities caused by the temptation to constantly be upgrading and changing things around with the seemingly endless and daily Program/Kernel updates in the current Linux climate. To quote linuxDSP “If it ain’t broke it doesn’t have enough features yet!”

Your age

5 years

Recording jam sessions. :slight_smile:

Hobby

Blues/rock/punk/etc

Audacity

Compressor…don’t use a lot of effects.

Bits and pieces setup - and have 2 friends with assorted gear so between the three of us we can get together and generally have something decent

Not permanent, so without my friends it’s a bit thin.

Your age

• Less than 2 years

• Multi-track studio, remix, voice recording, mastering, radio broadcasting.

• Semi pro - would just love to be paid once in a while :slight_smile:

• Classical for background, occasional vocal.

• JACK, Gnormalize & other utilities, Liquidsoap

• not much need for them, so far - limited use of internals

• JACK with M-Audio Delta 1010LT with HPxw4200 single 3.2GHz with 1TB work drive and a 10K Raptor drive dedicated to Ardour. Zoom H4n digital recorder

• Me. Single core - looking to add 2nd setup with HP6400 2x Dual Core for production

Your age

2 years

• Recording, Mixing

• Hobby. Though, I’ve started working on a setup for live performance.

• Electronica, lots of stuff based around sound design also some minimal techno

• JACK, Supercollider

• I really like the linux dsp plugins I’ve got. I use them internally.

• My own supercollider code and libraries. Also, the flexibility of routing through JACK.

• Lack of midi support for Ardour. But I’ve compiled 3 recently and the design of midi it fits perfectly with my work flow and some of my supercollider code. I’m very excited about it.

Your Age:

How long you’ve been usign Ardour
About 2 or 3 years.

What do you it for?
Mainly recording but editing audio and mixing too

Hobby at the moment, but I’m going to university next year and hope to turn composition into a career and I will stick with Ardour and Musescore thankyou very much! Love it.

All sorts. A lot of rock/ska but also my own compositions, neoclassical etc…

JACK, Musescore, Hydrogen, Phasex, just about anything I like…

CALF LV2 plugins are awesome, use them internally.

Speed, even without a realtime kernel JACK reports a 5.33ms latency. I could probably get it lower too.

Not running a realtime kernel… ahah :stuck_out_tongue:

Can we start including pictures of our set ups?

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/Xj2rZ.jpg (couldn’t work out how to make it into a link)

Going to get a second monitor and need somewhere proper to put my monitors, apart from that it works quite well. My band uses it for recording everybody at once and it works really nicely.