The Download Process Shames Poor People

“We think that it isn’t too much to ask you to pay at least the average cost of a meal at a restaurant.”
I think I understand what you were trying to do here. A lot of people don’t appreciate the labor involved in creating software, and take advantage of the “name your own price” model to pay less than they should. I’m thinking of rich kids shopping at thrift store. It’s designed to shame middle class penny-pinchers. Fair enough.

What you may have forgotten, or be so lucky in life that you’re utterly unaware of, is that large numbers of people, particularly in my home country of the United States, are poor. Over half the population of this country lives paycheck-to-paycheck.
[Despite rising wages, 61% of Americans are still living paycheck to paycheck, report finds] ← not a link because I’m limited to two in this post
And the poverty gets worse from there. Half a million people (and rising) don’t have homes, and tens of thousands die each year because we can’t afford healthcare.
State of [US] Homelessness: 2023 Edition
Sanders Applauds New Medicare for All Study: Will Save Americans $450 Billion and Prevent 68,000 Unnecessary Deaths Every Year
I am one of the now only 25 MILLION Americans who, if I get cancer, for example, will simply die without treatment.
[August 2022 DATA POINT 1 HP-2022-23 National Uninsured Rate Reaches All-Time Low in Early 2022] ← not a link because I’m limited to two in this post

“We think that it isn’t too much to ask you to pay at least the average cost of a meal at a restaurant.”
I don’t eat at restaurants. And like a large fraction of the United States–not to mention the world–the US$30 you’re asking is not nearly so trivial to me as you’ve tried to make it seem with this “cost of a meal at a restaurant” line.

I’m glad the person who wrote this has been lucky enough to consider a meal at a restaurant a casual luxury. But I hope the community can see that this lucky individual does not represent us as a whole.

WHAT’S THE FIX?

I personally think it’s a bit much to demand that the user click again to affirm they want to pay less than $30, but that’s a matter of taste. It is altogether not appropriate, though, to make presumptions about the socioeconomic status of people downloading Ardour. The shaming language absolutely has to go.

I’m interested to hear the community’s thoughts.

Thank you for bringing this up. I can assure you that there is no intention behind this to shame anyone, and I am sorry to hear that you feel this way.

I think it is reasonable to spend as much on a DAW as one pays for guitar strings per year.
Yet not everyone is guitarist, and there is also no database listing average cost of guitar strings in countries around the world. Many Ardour users bought a sound-card, microphones, some instruments, speakers, headphones, etc. The message is intended to motivate those to likewise appreciate the software.

Average cost of a meal seems in your country of residence seem like a fair as a baseline. Someone in Japan can easily spend more than someone in, say, India. And a few years ago Ardour was preinstalled on laptops given away for free in the Brazilian Favelas.

A discussion of poverty, social security and health insurance system (or lack thereof) in the US is really outside the scope here. Personally I find it worrying if an average citizen cannot afford an averagely priced meal, and then becomes ashamed of that. I think the problem is elsewhere, and not solved by some audio workstation download page changing their website.

That being said, and not being a native English speaker, could please you point out which sentence you find offending? The last one "If you really must … " ? perhaps we should change it to: “We would appreciate if you could contribute as much as an average meal in your place of residence, but also understand that it is not always possible, in which case you can just continue and submit the form again.”

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply, @x42.

I can assure you that there is no intention behind this to shame anyone,

I appreciate that. I never suspected you had any bad intentions. Well intended people ignoring the problems of poverty is the reason that there are still poor people in the industrialized world. It’s easy–even the default in the US–to ignore poor people, even to actively hide us. (For example, it’s quite common here for police to violently remove homeless people from public spaces and steal their belongings.) Given what I know of German politics, I suspect things aren’t too different in the culture there. So I don’t blame you for not always being conscious of these issues. I do hope that you do what you can about the issues you are aware of.

I think it is reasonable to spend as much on a DAW as one pays for guitar strings per year.

What is the marginal cost to the Ardour project of one download?
Do you think people who can’t afford a year’s supply of guitar strings don’t deserve to make music?
When poor people can’t make music, what effect do you think that has on music about solving the problems of poverty? *Note below

I appreciate your taking time to respond. I am being careful not to ask a load of questions, and I hope you’ll take seriously each of these three questions I have asked above. You won’t find any other question marks (outside of quotes) in this message.

That being said, and not being a native English speaker, could please you point out which sentence you find offending? The last one "If you really must … " ? perhaps we should change it to: “We would appreciate if you could contribute as much as an average meal in your place of residence, but also understand that it is not always possible, in which case you can just continue and submit the form again.”

And yes, the “If you really must” line is also problematic. ““We would appreciate if you could contribute” is a good replacement for “We think it isn’t to much to ask.” And I appreciate your suggested change of “in a restaurant” to “an average meal…” but it misses the bigger point: if you put any minimum dollar amount on the product (even $1, because a lot of poor people don’t have banking accounts, making digital payments difficult), you’re excluding the poorest people and contributing to the problem. When the marginal cost of a product is negligible, there is no just reason not to donate licenses to poor people and encourage them to be voices for progress. This is especially true with a product like Ardour, the purpose of which is to empower artistic expression.

I propose the following text:
“Ardour is a large piece of software developed by dozens of people over more than 20 years. We hope that you will respect the work we’ve put into this tool of creativity, and that those people lucky enough to be able to pay the modest price of $30 will do so. We recognize, of course, that a large and growing number of people cannot afford this price. For those of you in this unfortunate position, we offer a free download of Ardour, and we hope our work will help lift your voices.”

If you’re not willing to offer a free download, we can tweak that last sentence, but for now I hold out hope that you’ll consider this.

A discussion of poverty, social security and health insurance system (or lack thereof) in the US is really outside the scope here. Personally I find it worrying if an average citizen cannot afford an averagely priced meal, and then becomes ashamed of that.

I appreciate that you find it worrying. While we’re talking about how much it’s reasonable for you to ask people living under these conditions to pay for your product, the context of the economy we live in is very much in scope. Now, it’s fair to say we shouldn’t focus on my home country. Of course if you’d like to widen the scope to global poverty, we won’t find a lack of poor people elsewhere in the world, including in former German colonies and remaining US colonies.

I think the problem is elsewhere, and not solved by some audio workstation download page changing their website.

I’m not asking you to burn down a bank, I’m asking you to make small changes that are entirely within your control as an organization if not within your control as an individual.

A lot of awful things have happened while well intended people, who could’ve collectively done something about it, stood by and watched. Regardless of the rest of this discussion, I deeply hope that anytime in life you notice yourself saying or thinking something like this, you’ll stop yourself and say, “What CAN I do?”

I appreciate your attention to this issue, Robin. I hope you won’t find anything I’ve written too harsh or offensive. I take these issues very seriously on behalf of myself and of many more people who suffer more than me and have less opportunity to do something about it.

Matt

*Note
I mentioned above “music about solving the problems of poverty,” which may require a little context. I’m inspired, for example, by this very home-made tune with lyrics that will NEVER be published by the music industry, like:
“Cuz half a million freezing on the streets is Biden’s Winter plan
And I bet you swore they told you you were voting for a different man”
Jesse Jett - The Oil Baron Rescue Plan

*Afterthought: If you frame free licenses for poor people as donations, there may be some way to take credit for it on taxes (if German taxes are anything like US taxes). For example, a non-profit I work with receives donated licenses for SalesForce software services with a nominal value of something like $20,000 per year. We as an organization pay nothing for the licenses, but the way the paperwork is worded suggests the SalesForce corporation is taking credit for the donated value in one way or another.

Matt, I like some of the elements of the wording changes you are proposing, and I believe we should do something like that.

However, we are not going to offer a ready-to-run non-demo free download. We continue to provide the source code free of charge at all times, of course.

Ardour is released under the GPL, and anyone is free to provide copies to anyone else, for any reason.

However, for development work to continue in any meaningful way, the project needs to raise revenues of at least as much it does today. We should definitely avoid “poverty shaming” language (regardless of any intent), but we rely on our use of the GPL to make Ardour available to anyone who wants or needs to it. We do not do anything directly to facilitate people offering copies, but we would not intervene to stop that (and nor could we).

I would like to note in passing that as far as I know, Ardour is one of the only pieces of software to use geographically-based suggested pricing, which is a reflection of our desire to acknowledge global disparities in wealth and income. The idea that there could possibly be a single price for a piece of software, globally, is just absurd. The range of suggested pricing varies by a factor of 7 as far as I remember.

Unlike all proprietary DAWs, Ardour is available legally to anyone free of charge. Just not as a ready-to-run version downloaded from ardour.org. If we believed that we could do that without jeopardizing the revenue flow, we would do it. But we currently do not believe that.

4 Likes

Oh, a couple of less important technical points.

Ardour is financially and legally based in the USA (Santa Fe, New Mexico, specifically).

There is no established value for a license for Ardour, because there is no “license for Ardour”. The payment is for the service of us building the software for you, nothing more. Get a copy of Ardour from a friend (or a Linux distribution) – you’re all set, without paying us anything.

It would be against my ethical principles to try to claim a tax credit for doing anything remotely like what you describe SalesForce doing.

Language has been updated:

What is the marginal cost to the Ardour project of one download?

Thank you for changing the language!

minimal cost? That’d be $1 [USD].

As @paul pointed out you can then share legally the downloaded binary with anyone you like.

No idea, it’s not something that we’ve ever calculated, nor something we pay any attention to.

The goal of the “pay for the service of building ardour” is to raise sufficient revenue so that development of the software can continue at a reasonable pace. There has long been a slogan in these parts: “it doesn’t pay if everybody pays, only that enough people pay”.

Our suggested prices are not in any sense an attempt to reflect the costs to us of building, hosting and delivering the software.

I’m asking the marginal cost, @x42 , which is the amount that it costs you to provide the download. In other words, if you costs you $N to host D downloads this month, but it costs you $M to host D+1 downloads this month, the marginal cost is M minus N. It’s basically a measure of how much it would cost you to offer a free download to people like me. @paul has since addressed the question, but didn’t know the answer. It’s relevant because if it costs you less than $1 to host the download, then you’re still making a profit from poor people who manage to pay the bare minimum allowed.

Thanks, yes, I appreciate @paul’s note about legally sharing the binary, and for me that will probably solve the problem. The reason I’m here for a fresh download is that I’m hoping to collaborate with a friend running the same OS, so it’s no problem to ask him for a copy. [Edit: As of 3 July I got a copy from a friend, so I’m just here now trying to make the case for other poor people.]

I will still make that case that for other people like me you should offer free downloads. Paul mentioned that you “use geographically-based suggested pricing, which is a reflection of our desire to acknowledge global disparities in wealth and income.” If there were a geographic location full of people in such poverty that they cannot afford basic needs like healthcare, would you offer downloads for free in that region? Or would you effectively exclude most of the residents of Povertyland from using the product?

It’s also important to note that as far as I can tell, there is more disparity in wealth within the United States (in particular) than across national averages. (I couldn’t readily find these statistics, so I estimate them myself. I’m happy to present details so you can check my numbers if you like.) The standard deviation across national averages from the following OECD list is about US$16,000. The standard deviation of incomes within the US is four times that amount at about US65,000.
List of countries by average wage
Percentage distribution of household income in the United States in 2021

In other words, given the stated goal to “acknowledge global disparities in wealth and income,” the system in place doesn’t do the job. It pays lip service to the disparities linked to national borders without addressing the even larger disparities within.

You can always get the source-code and build it yourself, or ask someone to do that for you.

Most GNU/Linux distributions do provide builds free of charge. Assuming they can afford a PC or Laptop which can run Ardour, running a free/libre operating system is likely the way to go in order to avoid additional costs to Microsoft or Apple to begin with.

If somebody wants to make Ardour available to people without the means to pay for it, they are welcome to do so. However, that’s not something that ardour.org exists to do. As Robin mentioned, this was done by the Brasilian government a decade ago, when they distributed thousands of laptops with Ardour installed to kids in the favelas. We are happy to see such things happening, but we’re not a direct part of them.

I also question your use of the term “making a profit” regarding anything we do with Ardour. There is no capital investment in Ardour, all the revenue is used to pay salaries to people who work on the software. We are generating income, not profit (something I anticipate being true for a significant time into the future, and likely forever).

1 Like

If there were a geographic location full of people in such poverty that they cannot afford basic needs like healthcare, would you offer downloads for free in that region?

I noticed you didn’t answer this question, @paul.

Most GNU/Linux distributions do provide builds free of charge. Assuming they can afford a PC or Laptop which can run Ardour, running a free/libre operating system is likely the way to go in order to avoid additional costs to Microsoft or Apple to begin with.

Running GNU/Linux distributions requires a skill set many musicians don’t have. My uncle, for example, (a graphic artist but not a musician) mentioned two years ago that he’s interested in learning Linux, so I sent him link to a free download of Ubuntu. He still hasn’t downloaded it because learning to use it will cost time. You’ve also assumed they’re buying a new PC or laptop, but a lot of people get hand-me-down computers from other people or already have one and aren’t buying anything. For example, I can’t afford a PC, but I HAVE one.

I also question your use of the term “making a profit” regarding anything we do with Ardour. There is no capital investment in Ardour, all the revenue is used to pay salaries to people who work on the software. We are generating income, not profit (something I anticipate being true for a significant time into the future, and likely forever).

Fair enough, “profit” is the wrong word. Are the people who work on the software so poor that can’t afford healthcare? If not, then “profit” is wrong but “exploitation” is fair, as you’re taking dollars out of the pockets of poor people and putting them in the pockets of people who already have more money.

If somebody wants to make Ardour available to people without the means to pay for it, they are welcome to do so.

So when you mentioned “our desire to acknowledge global disparities in wealth and income”, was that the empty kind of desire you aren’t interested in acting on meaningfully? I’ve already demonstrated quantitatively that your geography-based pricing system doesn’t address the issue.

You can always get the source-code and build it yourself, or ask someone to do that for you.

As you well know, @paul, many (if not most) musicians lack the technical skills required to build it themselves. If you have reason to think that everyone knows someone they can ask please present your reason for thinking so. I personally don’t know anyone with both the ability and the willingness to build Ardour for me.

Do you acknowledge that your minimum price of a dollar instead of free IS keeping some people from making music? If so, and you’re okay with that, just say so and I’ll have little more to say. If you insist that you AREN’T keeping people from using Ardour, then you’re simply mistaken and I aim to convince you of that. I would’ve been using Ardour months ago to collaborate with this friend, but I gave up when I hit the pay wall. As it turns out, I came back, but I’ve already not been making music because of the cost (yes, even a dollar for the banking reason I mentioned before), and there’s no reason to think I’m the only one.

I think your intentions are genuinely good. I don’t think you’d be here having this discussion if they weren’t. I think you simply have never experienced poverty and don’t understand the road blocks it puts up to getting simple things done. I have experience not understanding from earlier in life, and now I have some experience on the poverty side of the fence. I hope you’ll never be poor yourself, but I do hope you’ll be willing to learn from my experience being poor.

Finally, these two big questions I asked @x42 three days ago haven’t been addressed:

Do you think people who can’t afford a year’s supply of guitar strings don’t deserve to make music?
When poor people can’t make music, what effect do you think that has on music about solving the problems of poverty?

I thought it is a rhetorical question.

Of course they deserve to make music, but how how would they play guitar without guitar strings? They can spend time to make their own strings, or find someone who has the resources to make them for them. (or save to buy them).

Pretty much like Ardour. They can spend time to learn how to build it, or find someone with expertise to do that for them.

This is how I got into the project. As artist I could not afford a DAW, so I learned, and eventually contributed source-code back to the project.

The free/libre software movement has always been about respecting user’s freedom, not giving away things for free. If you disagree then perhaps Ardour and other GPL software is not for you.

Have you considered that by running Microsoft Windows one does support a multi-billion dollar company that is at least in parts responsible for the large discrepancy in income in the US?

Anyway, I believe the issue about the shaming text on the download page is resolved.

PS. I kept from replying here because you made ad-hominem assumptions about me in your first reply which are not true and out of line. If I wished to reply but it would be inappropriate on this forum.

1 Like

You’re being ridiculous, “poor shamed” sounds like some imaginary offence you made up to just to complain about something.

6 Likes

Of course they deserve to make music, but how how would they play guitar without guitar strings? They can spend time to make their own strings, or find someone who has the resources to make them for them. (or save to buy them).

Pretty much like Ardour. They can spend time to learn how to build it, or find someone with expertise to do that for them.

This wasn’t a question about guitarists, this was a question about Ardour users. You said “I think it is reasonable to spend as much on a DAW as one pays for guitar strings per year.” The question is, does someone who can’t afford a supply of guitar strings (and may not be a guitarist anyway) deserve to make music? If we do, then why don’t you help by providing for these users a download of Ardour at cost?

PS. I kept from replying here because you made ad-hominem assumptions about me in your first reply which are not true and out of line. If I wished to reply but it would be inappropriate on this forum.

I’ve carefully read and re-read that reply, and the closest thing I can find to assumption I’ve made about you is that you live in Germany. “Given what I know of German politics, I suspect things aren’t too different in the culture there.” Is that what you’re talking about? I do apologize for that. Looking back, I’m not sure where I got the idea that you’re in Germany. If you’d like to discuss it, but not on this forum, you’re welcome to email me at the email registered with this account, or to suggest another means of communication.

Anyway, I believe the issue about the shaming text on the download page is resolved.

Yes. I’ve raised the closely related issue of providing at-cost (probably free) downloads for poor people. I thought it made sense here, but if you think I should start I new thread I can.

The free/libre software movement has always been about respecting user’s freedom, not giving away things for free.

I didn’t say you should provide free downloads to poor people because this is libre software. I’m saying you should provide free downloads to poor people because (1) it costs you almost nothing, and (2) it makes the world a better place.

Have you considered that by running Microsoft Windows one does support a multi-billion dollar company that is at least in parts responsible for the large discrepancy in income in the US?

Yes, that’s one of the reasons I don’t run Microsoft Windows. I have been running Debian GNU/Linux on my home computers for twenty years or so.

Microsoft Corp’s Money In Politics

Among the many ways Microsoft turns Licensing revenue into economic inequality is by donating directly to corrupt politicians and political parties. According to Open Secrets, the top recipient from Microsoft is DNC Services Corp, a part of the Democratic Party whose sitting president pretends to represent working class people while actively harming us, for example by busting strikes, forcing unfair union contracts, and promising to Veto a Universal Healthcare bill if it ever threatens to become law.

It’s not just Microsoft, of course. For-profit corporations in general tend to oppose the wellfare of human beings because our suffering benefits their bottom line. The solution is for poor people to have more power. Not asking to run the world, just our fair share of influence. And having a VOICE is a huge part of that. Music itself can be a huge part of that.

This is why I asked the last of those three questions that hasn’t been addressed yet: When poor people can’t make music, what effect do you think that has on music about solving the problems of poverty?

This is also why I linked the Jesse Jett song a few posts back. He makes music about the Democratic Party–the one Microsoft heavily donates to–being part of the problem. You won’t hear that on any corporate labels. It matters that poor people can make our own music. If it doesn’t cost anything (still happy to be shown a non-zero marginal cost) to offer a download free for poor people, why not be part of the solution?

At this point I think this thread has served it’s purpose. I am closing it now.

2 Likes