Tascam US-2X2

I’m looking at the Tascam US-2X2 as a portable audio/MIDI interface for my new laptop setup. Would anyone else who has used this with Linux/Ardour be willing to comment on the sound quality and Linux/JACK compatibility? Will it record at 96/24? I’ve heard that this unit, for some people, only records at 16 bits on Linux, and this won’t do for me.

Note: I was comparing the US-2X2 with the Scarlet 2i2. I like the US-2X2 because of the added MIDI interface, and because I have not read anything about the US-2X2 having the “popping” issues sometimes reported by Linux users of the 2i2.

It is pure coincidence that I just made this account and saw your thread. If it is of any help, I have only got the Tascam US-2x2 to work on AV Linux and on Debian (currently using GNOME 3.22.2).

2x2 stopped working on AV Linux after having installed an update, which was not a smart thing to do, as I have come to understand that it is better to NEVER update AV Linux as long as everything is working fine. I have thereafter installed Debian.

I’ve read somewhere that these are the only two distros which support 2x2 without any issue, but feel free to correct me if there is more!

Hope this helps!

ardour1951, that does help. Thank you.

Are you able to use the full 24 bits it offers? It doesn’t get stuck at 16?

Sadly, I’ve been using Ardour only for internal demos and recordings on amateur level (planning to go further soon though). Can’t help you on that one yet! I am a rookie :slight_smile:

Surely someone else can!

Good luck!

No worries. I appreciate it.

I found this: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Tascam

It mentions the 16x08. Their aXb series should be the same hardware, so if this one is official supported by ALSA on 4.5 or later kernels, I should be okay.

The Scarlett 2i4 has a good reputation among Linux users and has MIDI ports. It is a bit more expensive, but if it was me, it would be a no-brainer to go with the 2i4. Its winning features over the Tascam are selectable mono monitoring and 4 outs. The second generation models reduced the internal latency compared to the first generation. It also goes up to 192 khz in case you have superhuman hearing. The potential advantage I see with the Tascam US-2x2 is the ability to use an external power supply, which may benefit mics that need phantom power, but…I may be wrong about that making any difference.

Thanks, GuntherT. I ended up going with a 2i2. (Not the 2i4, because I wanted the smallest physical footprint possible for a portable setup.) It works perfectly with Ardour on my Gentoo Studio laptop.

I bought the Tascam US 2x2 and I am more than happy with me as my first kick into setting recording at home.
it works really well with Ardour on Linux.

1 Like