Tascam US-122 on recent Ubuntu/Debian?

Hello :slight_smile:

I’m new to this forum, but I’m a long time linux audio user. I apologize in advance, that this is not an Ardour-specific question, but it involves jackd2. I hope this is okay?

I’ve been using a Tascam US-122 in the past (around Ubuntu Dapper 6.06/Hardy 8.04), but can’t get it to work on Xubuntu 16.04 :frowning:

Has anyone managed to get the US-122 running on a recent version of Ubuntu/Debian?

I’ve followed the tutorial on ALSA.opensrc.org, and the alsa-firmware (v1.0.29) loads (green light on the device), and /proc/asound/{cards|devices|modules} all list the USX2Y device properly.

But when I try to do anything with that alsa device, I either get “Broken pipe” or “Unable to install hw params” or some other error like this. Jackd2 works fine on the onboard soundcard, but fails

Seems like all applications are trying to tell me in their own words that some part of my setup is faulty

I’ve probably read all articles I could find on the web about this, but they either refer to older Ubuntu distros, or the US-122L (which’s setup is completely different).

Thanks in advance!

The system freeze which occurred when stopping JACK has now been resolved by switching to AVLinux. See thread >> https://community.ardour.org/node/15781 <<

Hello, I just registered here to chip in on this thread.

I’m using Ubuntu Studio 18.04 on a DELL E6230 with a TASCAM US-122 audio/midi interface without any problems apart from one.

I can record, monitor and playback inside Ardour using JACK/ALSA and also send MIDI data from my controller keyboard to the US-122 via a home made fully wired 5-pin MIDI cable which gets routed to an Ardour track, records fine even live with a virtual synth plugin.

The only problem I have is that once I have issued ‘sudo usx2yloader’ to initialise the US-122 and used the device with Ardour, as soon as I close JACK the whole OS freezes.

I’ve posted the problem on another forum, no replies yet though.

I’ve been having similar issues with my US 122 in AV Linux (based on Debian Stretch I believe). I’m at the point to where I’m very likely going to upgrade to a newer interface, but I’m still fiddling with the US 122 for now. It was suggested to me in another forum that the issues could likely stem from the age of the US 122 itself and the most recent version of ALSA maybe not having total support of it anymore like it used to. I’m thinking more and more that this is the case.