Talented Audio Programmer Seeks Work

Aw man, I’m so sorry to hear that. Any particular reason that SAE decided to back out or was it just the usual “we prefer to spend our money on other things”?

I hope you’ll be alright!

make install -not war;

Paul,

I’m Sean Burns, the creator of the Ardour facebook and Myspace pages. I have been trying to find support and donations for your application. There is currently a movement on the microsound list to recruit help as well.

I am also using my leverage as former a CTO in the booming “Hollywood South” to drum up assistance.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Sean Burns

Paul,
Ardour is an excellent application and you are one hell of a guy for driving this project for as long as you have.

I have a plea for everyone who has come to love this tool. I hope everyone who has been waiting to subscribe will stand up and vote right now to keep this application alive. It’s only $10 per month people.

How much is it worth to have a free multi-track audio program? Don’t think of it as the value of the application - it’s the value of having an open source tool to capture and nurture your creativity…your art. How much is your art worth? A hell of a lot more than $10/month. Come on everyone - please keep this project alive. We need it!

-Andy

I know it isn’t much, but I’ve just signed up for the ‘low cost’ subscription.

This subscription is only $4/month, so I guess everybody reading this could and should subscribe for at least this amount…

sorry to hear that… Paul, thanks for everything you´ve done for the audio - world !

Hey,

just sent this year’s subscription as a one time donation since I can’t subscribe.

We really must keep this going!

Benjamin

Another way is to sponsor tickets in mantis. Since Paul will likely close most of these, It will help you and him to get what we need…

Remember, that is in addition to the subscription you can afford

Strange move from SAE…

I’d like to make a contribution, too. Is there any way to do this without Paypal and from outside the States?

A

Good idea! I’d like to put tickets for VST instruments but there is no place to put the bounty to. Can anyone help me? I would put $100 there.

I just completed my first solo album not minutes ago. Having seen your lack of funds for what has always seemed to be a versatile program, I decided to transfer all my projects over from the Logic system I had been using into Ardour for mixing and mastering. I am incredibly impressed! You have increased my productivity immensely and I intend to donate a large portion of the profits from this album to Ardour for future development. With midi support in ardour3 the last link in the chain will be complete, so anything I can do to help get you there, I will. Thanks again Paul, and good luck!!

SAE have ended their financial support for Ardour development but have not (currently) cancelled their plans to use Ardour with their students. They believe that the program has reached (or is very, very close to) the level needed for them to do this, and they do not wish to pay for further developments at this time.

@Paul, that’s (almost) a compliment for the current state of Ardour!

According to this german website
(http://www.linux-community.de/Internal/Nachrichten/Update-Ardour-in-finanziellen-Schwierigkeiten), SAE stated the following:

“SAE was and remains a keen supporter of the open source community and the Ardour project. However the idea was not to make endless financial contributions. Instead we intended to kickstart Ardour OSX to a level, which allowed SAE to push it out to the schools and students, thus increasing the userbase to a point when it starts carrying itself and the further development of the project.
Further more we are inches away from a new SAE release we are confident in using and promoting.
For now SAE will suspend financial support and focus on promotion of the new Ardour OSX version (see Musikmesse Frankfurt, Recording Magazine and SAE Magazine …)
Now it is to be seen if our goals can be reached. If so SAE might resume the support once the economic climate improves.”

If that is accurate, then

1. SAE has a problem with communication (since it seems like they dropped the support from one day to the other, they could have planned this much better to smoothen the transition)
  2. What are they thinking? “… a point when it starts carrying itself”?

Well, I guess we are all just disappointed. Cause at least SAE supported Ardour for some time!
I guess everyone’s sick of the dependence on a single corporation, so subscribe & donate!

Btw libsndfile 1.0.18 is out, so this build requirement for Ardour3 shouldn’t be a problem anymore.

Hey Paul

I recommended you to a small audio hardware company, however being small they can’t take you on at the moment.

If you can’t eat or have to worry how to make ends meet, then I can’t imagine you will be able to be very productive.

Ardour is the single application that cemented my stay on the Linux platform. In fact, I deleted my Windows partition because of redundancy, a few weeks after using Ardour in Fedora. It’s one hell of a program, and I’m super thankful that it exists.

I’m a subscriber, and I don’t plan on halting my subscription any time soon. If I ever become a full-time artist, I’d fully aid Ardour and its development.

Hope SAE’s ceased sponsorship won’t be a big drawback in the long term.

Hi, Paul and your team. Your work is absolutely necessary to GNU/Linux. This is something that Linus Thorvald, Mike Shuttleworth and people like they, should know. I work in a third world tiny advertising agency. I have GNU/Linux in my desktop by my own, and I’m using it to work with any complaints. I’m a copywriter but, sometimes, to do rafts of radio commercials, I use Ardour and I know its power and potential. Actually I have recommended it to our radio studio provider. I have made a low cost subscription, and I’m trying to convince mine bosses to make a donation or a full subscription.
Thank you and I hope the community will understand how relevant your contribution is.

Santiago from Argentina.

PS: If you want it, I can donate my services if you need to do some kind of advertising (creativity).

‘Further more we are inches away from a new SAE release we are confident in using and promoting.’

Why not ask them to say what state they are thinking the new SAE release should have? Why don’t they promise a amount of money when that state is reached?

And why not sponsor it till then with a smaller amount of money instead of stopping it?

rozea, that information is being exchanged in private emails between myself and my contacts at SAE.