Sync regions with tracks when navigating the track list

Sync regions with tracks when navigating the track list in the arranger.

Example.

2 tracks, each with a region. I’m on track 1 and the region is active. I switch to Track2 with a shortcut, and the region in track 1 becomes inactive, and the region in track 2 becomes active.

In other words, the active region follows the track selection.

Can this be done in Ardour?

You could write a Lua script for this, but in general we assume that “1 track, 1 region” is much less common than “1 track, N regions” (*), and your idea breaks down there. Lua scripting is specifically designed to let people cook up behavior that works well for them, but might not be more broadly appropriate.

(*) we could be wrong

Ok, thanks. I’m not a scripter, but i’ll have a look.

@alextone: ardour only allows you to have one ‘kind’ of thing selected at a time.

This removes ambiguity when you do an action (like Mute, or Zoom, or Delete). If you are allowed to have both the Region and a Track selected, it is sometimes unclear what the action should apply to.

At any moment, you can only have one ‘kind’ of thing selected:

• Track(s) and optionally an associated Time Range
  • Region(s)
  • MIDI Note(s)
  • Automation Control Point(s)
  • Plugin(s)

For that reason, you won’t be able to achieve what you are asking, even with Lua.

However, you could achieve this: I have a region selected on track 1, and I want to press a key and have a region selected on track 2 (presumably trying to find a region with similar boundaries as the one you had selected on track 1). That would be possible with Lua.

Ben, thanks for the expanded answer.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.