Switch to Linux

I’m using my Notebook for university, work and music production, what means office, calculating and a DAW that supports MIDI.
I always wanted to switch to Linux / open source, but it was the DAW that kept me using a proprietary OS. I’ve been waiting for the OSX-release of Ardour 3.0 as anxiously as anyone, now I changed the plan and switched to Linux. Just encouraging you guys to do the complete change, I’m happy since.

yes… but… not every thing works witout OS X: orchestral plugs as GPO, Miroslav… an RME diver…
I tried to leave… and switch…
maybe having the 2 OS on the same computer is a solution…

…RME driver…sorry

my rme multiface 2 and pci-e hdsp card works perfectly -).
RME is normally pretty good supported.

yes, but the RME UCX has Totalmix, a complete soft access to all routings inside the box, and this needs ( normally) OS X or another thing…

the UCX is a specific device. the devices mentioned by cajmere can be controlled by hdspmixer, which is a clone of totalmix and provides precisely the same functionality. there is also hdspconf which provides additional control (similar to the device control panel on OS X). so it wise to be precise when saying things like “an RME driver is needed” … RME make many devices, several of which are fully and excellently supported on linux. The UCX is currently not one of them.

I love Ardour. I love my RME UCX. You can use an iPad app to control the TotalMix settings in your UCX in Class Compliant mode. But then you would need to unplug from the iPad and plug back into the linux box for recording (unless you wanted to record on the iPad using garageband or something like that).

The UFX with it’s handy memory stick can just record to that. The UCX doesn’t have this, so you need to record to something like a hard drive through Ardour (Linux), or RME DigiCheck (Apple or Windows).