Subscription and Sound

As a Newbie, I have a couple of questions.
I have subscribed to Adour. Do I now need to re-download the software or is there some other way that I can stop the ‘no sound’ messages?
I am connecting a Behringer XR18 via USB to my PC. All is good and Adour recognizes the inputs and out puts. The problem is I cannot hear the playback on my headphones. I have tried re-routing the Master out but only the XR18 channels are shown and not the sound card.
Would appreciate any suggestions.

Yes the full build and demo build are actually two different builds.

This sounds like you are trying to use the headphones on the built in sound card on your computer, can you connect them to the XR18 instead? Ardour will only use a single sound card in most cases to prevent issues from clock sync.

Seablade

Thanks very much for your quick response. Will try to set that up. Its a pity though - not least because my headphone jack is not the same size as the one on the berringer :frowning:

In Ardour 6 you can choose different input and output devices in the audio setup dialog. Not sure how the latency and the sync is in those cases.

Thanks for your responses. I have learned a few things since I started this journey. The most important one is that you don’t have the option to use the computer for monitoring. It has to be done on the XR18 and you have to redirect your results back to the XR18.
Sadly it appears that Adour is not all that keen on windows users and is more geared towards Linux and Apple. I have moved on to Reaper which to me seems more intuitive particularly in the handling of VST files. Many thanks for your help guys!

Your description of the monitoring situation is incorrect.

Ardour is perfectly fine with Windows but … the Windows user community (which as far as we can tell is at least as big as the Linux one) overwhelming chooses not to be involved with the software development and documentation processes, or in providing help, assistance and insight to other (Windows) users. Since the Linux and macOS user communities don’t know Windows, they can’t really provide Windows users with Windows-specific help. Almost all of the problems that Windows users seem to have that we can’t address are either Windows specific, or worse, system specific (i.e. they happen only on a specific user’s system, not on most systems).

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your response. I would be interested to know the ‘correct’ monitoring situation as from the DAWs that I have looked at - including Pro-tools, Ableton and Reaper - all seem to have the same situation whereby you choose your attached source device (in my case a Berringer XR18) and in order to monitor what you are doing, you need to route your output back to the source device in order to hear a result. You don’t (seem ) to have the option of an input from XR18 and an output to Windows.
I realize that Adour is semi-open source and that there is an expectation of input from the users but I have only recently started looking at DAWs and as you indicate, any actual information that I can share may not be accurate - particularly for documentation. I am quite happy to accept my error.
If you are talking about my comment on the vst’s, I was never able to get one working on Adour (and the comment in the user manual is very vague as to how this should be done) whereas with reaper, it is fairly self evident and within half an hour I had a virtual instrument playing without having to refer to a group like this.
Incidentally when I had problems earlier, I did get Windows users who tried to help me.
Finally, I am still at an early stage of learning and possibly I will find advantages of Adour over Reaper in the future and re-visit it. At this stage for me, particularly with its once off payment option, it seems to be be best option.
Many thanks for your input, anyway.

Uh maybe I didn’t understand your point earlier, but this is exactly how Ardour works. It expects you to use a single device in most cases, and you can choose to monitor via software which then would play the audio out of the master bus (or Monitor bus if your session has that) which would be ideally routed back to the same device.

When I responded earlier it sounded like you wanted to use 2 devices, which technically may be possible in Windows but I haven’t checked with an external audio device to confirm, is usually not the best way to approach it anyways so clock sync isn’t an issue. But maybe I misunderstood your question.

VSTs aren’t to difficult to get working in Windows, but you do need to point Ardour to the correct folder (Edit>Preferences>Plugins>VST and there is a button there to tell it where to look for VSTs). It is also a good idea to check to have it search for new plugins on Mixbus start as well in the same preference dialog, but it will also give you the option to manually scan when you add a new plugin location there.

What VST in particular was giving you trouble? Maybe it is an issue with that particular VST?

Each have their strengths and weaknesses, which could be said about most DAWs these days honestly. To each their own of course, but I am currently teaching a class of newcomers to audio on OS X and Windows simultaneously to use Mixbus (Which is based on Ardour) so it is certainly possible to use on Windows.

Seablade

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.