Studio 20.10 Crash on startup

Running from Command Line -

Ardour6
Ardour6.6.0 (built using 6.6 and GCC version 6.3.0 20170516)
Ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to 1048576 open files
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/etc/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/dlr/.config/ardour6/config
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX with FMA capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz
Ardour: [INFO]: Using AVX and FMA optimized routines
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/share/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin statistics file /home/dlr/.config/ardour6/plugin_metadata/plugin_stats
Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/etc/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/dlr/.config/ardour6/ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 451 MIDI patches from /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/share/patchfiles

(ardour-6.6.0:164561): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “adwaita”,

(ardour-6.6.0:164561): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “adwaita”,
This just keeps rolling until killed
I have uninstalled, installed again.
I have made sure Gnome Libraries are loaded and uptodate.
I have turned off Jack
I have turned on Jack
I have rebooted
-=-=-
Any ideas?

Most common cause on your platform is the presence of the csladspa package, which will 100% crash Ardour (and most other LADSPA plugin hosts too). It gets installed as a side-effect of some other package, but can be removed independently using the software manager.

Thank you, Sir!

So I removed all of the csladspa.
Searched made sure there were no hidden files
Removed all my instances of Ardour6
Reinstalled
Same Error

Tried the debug
opt/ardour6/bin/ardour-6.6.0 --gdb
bash: /opt/ardour6/bin/ardour-6.6.0: No such file or directory

Did you reinstall to /opt/ardour6 ?

bash: /opt/ardour6/bin/ardour-6.6.0: No such file or directory
means that ardour either doesn’t live in that directory or that the executable file isn’t called “ardour-6.6.0”

Your initial log says it was installed in /opt/Ardour-6.6.0

You should also try and rename your .config/ardour6 folder, or whatever it’s called, in case it contains something weird

Good Afternoon Peder!

Yes, in fact, I have downloaded new images. Tried installing from Snap. Nothing is working.

→ This is the problem: Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler

Here and in the ‘wild’ the explanation is csladspa. However, I have used locate, find and grepped and csladspa doesn’t live here anymore! Yet Adour thinks it does.

So like most great linux programs. Ardour has a variety of switches. Unique and very cool is that there is also a debugging version of Ardour that stripes out a bunch of stuff. So what I am attempting to run is the debug program.

Since Ardour creates the opt directory. It should know where every thing is located.

I am thinking…Ardour doesn’t like something on this rig. So I am downloading kubuntu 20.04. Will blow away an old windows partition (after all Ardour is hands down better than most commercial daws). Then reinstall everything on that partition and redo this one.

Thank you! Appreciate you taking the time to read and ponder my plight. In the world of software. When it comes to fear. I choose …flight.

Cheers

It is possible that something other than csladspa made it crash in your case.

Ardour knows where it’s installed but I presume that you ran the /opt/ardour6/bin/ardour-6.6.0 command in a terminal, without checking first that that directory and file actually existed.

Actually /opt is a standard linux system directory used as the recommended location to install software which does not come from the distribution repositories. Ardour that you download from ardour.org would ipnstall to there, if you install Ardour from your distribution repositories it would be installed into the /usr/bin directory.

But you are the one who typed in “opt/ardour6/bin/ardour-6.6.0 --gdb” on the command line, that has nothing to do with Ardour knowing where everything is located, you must type the correct location if you are going to start Ardour from the command line to debug.

Verify if ardour is installed where you expect:
ls /opt
Is there an ardour6 directory there? If not, you did not install from ardour.org, or did not install to the standard location.
If there is:
ls /opt/ardour6/bin/
Is there a file ardour-6.6.0 there? If not, you are running a different version than you think. Or possibly there is a typo in the web site instructions. Is there a file Ardour-6.6.0 instead? Linux filesystems are case sensitive, so if you type ardour-6.6.0 but the file is really named Ardour-6.6.0 the command line interpreter will complain that the file does not exist.

Hey Peter

All of my searches have led to csladspa, however, that is where I am asking for Community help!
Sooooo that being your excellent response did trigger an issue…my foobar (yes, I am very old).

Yea, there are two files in /opt/ardour6/bin/ one ardour6 and the other ardour-6.6.0

/opt/Ardour-6.6.0/bin/ardour-6.6.0 --gdb
says:
/opt/Ardour-6.6.0/bin/ardour-6.6.0: error while loading shared libraries: libardourcp.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When running to the other file ardour6
It spits me into gdb and questions my heritage and choice of professions.

Here is the fun part! libardourcp.so is not on my machine either
So in searching in the wild…Mr Davis wrote previously:

"You never execute ardour-.

You always execute ardour.

The normal release of Ardour is not debuggable, because it is optimized for performance. It is possible to download the debug version on request."

So I am making that request!!

I tried as Mr. Davis suggested to run ardour6 and this is the output:
."…
or help, type “help”.
Type “apropos word” to search for commands related to “word”…
Reading symbols from /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/bin/ardour-6.6.0…
(No debugging symbols found in /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/bin/ardour-6.6.0)
(gdb) "

So Thank you for the help! Maybe I can get a debugging version and find out why Ardour doesn’t like my environment.

Chris!

You are correct. I removed the snap version because it didnt work either…something about fonts and other stuff. One headache at a time.

So I did install from the official version.
There was a typo. The sub-directory used capital A (always proof read before hitting enter and making a fool of yourself, my late departed my mother used to say)

Once I figured out I am sloppy and lazy. We ran the debugger and it wasn’t much help. However, I am requesting an official debugging package to figure out why my environment sucks.

Thank you!

in the opt//opt/Ardour-6.6.0/lib section there is: libardour.so.3 …

libardourcp.so lives in the lib/ardour6 subdirectory of your Ardour install. So in your case it should be in /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/lib/ardour6

The bin/ardour6 file you’re running is actually just a bash script which sets up search paths to the lib/ardour6 files, and a few other things.
That’s why Mr. Davis said that you never run the ardour-x.y file; it doesn’t set up the paths correctly.

You can get the nightly debuggable from https://nightly.ardour.org/

Did you rename your .config/ardour6 folder? Because Ardour may crash if you have something weird there.

Peder –

Excellent. That whole subdirectory is missing from my machine.
/opt/Ardour-6.6.0/lib/ardour6
Is not there.

/opt/Ardour-6.6.0/lib$ ls -d */
backends/ gtkengines/ LV2/ panners/ surfaces/

Thank you for the debug page!!

.config/ardour6 folder?
Is not there either

There (at least) two executables in the /opt/Ardour<VERSION>/bin folder:

• ardour6 (a shell script)
  • ardour-6.6.0 (a compiled executable)

The debugging instructions for Linux say:

which was supposed to make it obvious that the correct command is:

/opt/Ardour-6.6.0/bin/ardour6 --gdb

Yes Sir! Thank you

The complete output -
/opt$ /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/bin/ardour6 --gdb
GNU gdb (Ubuntu 9.2-0ubuntu2) 9.2
Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Type “show copying” and “show warranty” for details.
This GDB was configured as “x86_64-linux-gnu”.
Type “show configuration” for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/.

For help, type “help”.
Type “apropos word” to search for commands related to “word”…
Reading symbols from /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/bin/ardour-6.6.0…
(No debugging symbols found in /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/bin/ardour-6.6.0)
(gdb)

That’s not the output. Please read the rest of the instructions.

Oye

(gdb) run
The program being debugged has been started already.
Start it from the beginning? (y or n) y
Starting program: /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/bin/ardour-6.6.0
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library “/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1”.
Ardour6.6.0 (built using 6.6 and GCC version 6.3.0 20170516)
Ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to 1048576 open files
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/etc/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/dlr/.config/ardour6/config
[New Thread 0x7fffe9ea0640 (LWP 16605)]
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX with FMA capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz
Ardour: [INFO]: Using AVX and FMA optimized routines
[New Thread 0x7fffe969f640 (LWP 16606)]
[New Thread 0x7fffe8e9e640 (LWP 16607)]
[New Thread 0x7fffe3fff640 (LWP 16608)]
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/share/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin statistics file /home/dlr/.config/ardour6/plugin_metadata/plugin_stats
[New Thread 0x7fffe1c69640 (LWP 16609)]
[Thread 0x7fffe1c69640 (LWP 16609) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fffe1c69640 (LWP 16610)]
[New Thread 0x7fffd3fff640 (LWP 16611)]
[New Thread 0x7fffd2b49640 (LWP 16612)]
Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/etc/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/dlr/.config/ardour6/ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 451 MIDI patches from /opt/Ardour-6.6.0/share/patchfiles

(ardour-6.6.0:16604): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “adwaita”,

(ardour-6.6.0:16604): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “adwaita”,

(ardour-6.6.0:16604): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “murrine”,

It hasn’t crashed. Without a crash and the backtrace showing all threads, it doesn’t contain any useful information.

Any suggestions? the program wont start…

Change your system theme.

You are using one that defines a color scheme. There is a bug in GTK+2 that will never be fixed in which trying to load 2 color schemes (1 from system theme, 1 from an application) will hang.

When running inside gdb (and the program is stuck/hung), press Ctrl-c. Once the gdb prompt appears, type: thread apply all bt

Mr. Davis

Thank you, your first recommendations fixed it. I am back on my favorite DAW. Just recorded a new session. I will dedicate my next one to you!!

Thank you!!