SSL Duende - AU - PlugIns doesn´t work with Ardour/ Harrison Mixbus V 2.2 (?)

I just installed Harrison mixbus and must state that SSL plugins are not recognized correctly:

SSL X- Verb is not listed in the busses and other SSL Duende plugins ( Channel Strip/ BUs compressor) doesn´t work because of " License can not be found" – wich is very strange and wrong. My AU - Duende License are activated and working fine with Logic and Studio One .

pretty strange. No probs with other PlugIns (waves, U-He, etc.)

any hints for workarounds ? thank you

First - Email Harrison Consoles. (You got the email in your documentation with Mixbus). They tend to be very responsive and will likely be very interested to hear this.

Second - What I will say is that the license issue is almost always directly handled by their code, I don’t think anything in Mixbus handles licensing of plugins IIRC, so it would be very strange that on the same machine it would work in one DAW and not another.

When you say SSL X-Verb is not listed in the busses, can you clarify what you mean, as in where you expect to see it precisely vs where you don’t? Thanks.

Seablade

Hi seablade

thanks for your hint about the right contact to Harrison.

And Yes, it is like I mentioned . . The license is requested only with Mixbus . Other DAWs works fine with SSL. the Pugins are activated since months.
SSL X - Verb will not be recognized as a plugin in Mixbus. I can not select SSL X verb in a channel drop down list , , but funny enough all other SSL Pugins ( but then with the strange license error message)

I sent an email to Harrison already. Looking forward to their answer. thanks for your help

Well it is more what it is compiled as. A 32Bit version of Ardour will host 32 Bit plugins, a 64 Bit version of Ardour will support 64 Bit Plugins. Ardour is quite capable of being compiled as either, though the amount of effort to do so on OS X is a bit more to put it mildly(Having dug around in that code myself, admittedly it was a little while ago).

So yes Ardour can host 64 bit plugins, if compiled for 64 Bit. On OS X it is not compiled for 64 Bit as of right now in any released form. That isn’t to say it can’t happen, just that it hasn’t yet.

Seablade

@tompisa: thanks for (a) letting any future readers of this forum thread know what the issues were (b) your relaxed and charming language regarding "sucking".

Perhaps you'd like to sign up to the Apple CoreAudio mailing list, where you can quietly read the sad sorrow of other audio developers as they continue to try to understand how Apple intends for mixed-sized plugin support to work, or if they even do intend for it to work.

And if that seems like too much work, then perhaps you could volunteer the appropriate text to explain to a typical OS X user whether they should download a 64-bit version of Ardour or a 32 bit one, given their OS X version and audio hardware. Bonus points will be included if you cover the device driver issues that are also affected by this.

And before you offer up the truism that [ insert other DAW here ] offers support for 32 bit and 64 bit plugins, you could perhaps pause for a moment to consider the number of developers and testers available in that example.

You may also like to consider the graph at the end of this article:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230788/Apple_s_Mountain_Lion_clears_10_bar_now_runs_1_in_10_Macs

which shows that more than 50% of all OS X users continue to use a version of OS X on which 64 bit support is either not possible, or problematic.

You might also like to consider the question of what 64 bit support actually brings to any plugin other than a sampler. And by "actually" I am referring to real, technical, provable benefits rather than marketing language. Hint: there are essentially no such benefits that have ever been demonstrated in a double blind test.

But really, I guess that WTF -- 32 bit Plugin support only ? .. Ardour sucks then.. its 2012/ 2013 summarizes that all perfectly.

@Paul

While for the most part I do agree with you, I will say that if you look at other websites, such as videolan, which are far more popular than Ardour for downloads, they manage to detect with surprising accuracy the version and instruction set of the OS in question, handled primarily it seems by this code…

//Editable details for the client side OS appropriate download detection. var latestVersion = '2.0.4';
var windowsDetails = {'name': 'Windows', 'size': '22 MB', 'location': 'http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlc/files/2.0.4/win32/vlc-2.0.4-win32.exe/download'};
var osxDetails     = {'name': 'Mac OS X', 'size': '43 MB', 'location': 'http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlc/files/2.0.4/macosx/vlc-2.0.4.dmg/download' };
var osx32Details   = {'name': 'Mac OS X (32bit)', 'size': '26 MB', 'location': 'http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlc/files/2.0.4/macosx/vlc-2.0.4-intel.dmg/download' };
var osx64Details   = {'name': 'Mac OS X (64bit)', 'size': '27 MB', 'location': 'http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlc/files/2.0.4/macosx/vlc-2.0.4-intel64.dmg/download' };
var osxPPCDetails  = {'name': 'Mac OS X (PPC)', 'size': '25 MB', 'location': 'http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlc/files/2.0.4/macosx/vlc-2.0.4-powerpc.dmg/download' };    var linuxDetails   = {'name': 'Linux', 'size': '', 'location': '/vlc/#download'};
var debianDetails  = {'name': 'Debian GNU/Linux', 'size': '', 'location': '/vlc/download-debian.html'};
var ubuntuDetails  = {'name': 'Ubuntu Linux', 'size': '', 'location': 'apt://vlc'};
var fedoraDetails  = {'name': 'Fedora Linux', 'size': '', 'location': '/vlc/download-fedora.html'};
var redhatDetails  = {'name': 'RedHat Linux', 'size': '', 'location': '/vlc/download-redhat.html'};
var gentooDetails  = {'name': 'Gentoo Linux', 'size': '', 'location': '/vlc/download-gentoo.html'};
var suseDetails    = {'name': 'Suse Linux', 'size': '', 'location': '/vlc/download-suse.html'};
var mandrivaDetails  = {'name': 'Mandriva Linux', 'size': '', 'location': '/vlc/download-mandriva.html'};
var beosDetails  = {'name': 'BeOS', 'size': '', 'location': '/vlc/download-beos.html'};
var freebsdetails  = {'name': 'FreeBSD', 'size': '', 'location': '/vlc/download-freebsd.html'};
var iosdetails  = {'name': 'iOS 3.2+', 'size': '9 MB', 'location': '/vlc/download-ios.html'};

//Attempt to load the bright button gradient into cache for faster switching on mouse over (may not work on all browsers.)
var cache = new Image();
cache.src = '/style/images/downloadButtonGradientOrangeBright.png';

$(document).ready(function () {
   var OS="windows"; //Default

if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Win")!=-1){
     OS="windows";
     latestVersion = '2.0.4';
     $("#downloadButton").addClass('sourceforge_accelerator_link');
   }
   if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac")!=-1) {
      latestVersion = '2.0.4';
      if (navigator.platform.indexOf("MacPPC")!= -1 || navigator.platform.indexOf("PowerPC") != -1 ) OS="osxPPC";
      else if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("OS X 10.5")!=-1) OS="osx32";
      else if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("OS X 10.6")!=-1) OS="osx64";
      else if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("OS X 10.7")!=-1) OS="osx64";
      else OS="osx";

$("#downloadButton").addClass('sourceforge_accelerator_link');
   }
   if (navigator.platform.indexOf("BeOS") !=-1) OS="beos";
   if (navigator.platform.indexOf("Linux")!=-1) {
        if((navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Ubuntu") != -1) ||
            (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("ubuntu") != -1)) OS="ubuntu";
        else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Debian") != -1) OS="debian";
        else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Mandriva") != -1) OS="mandriva";
        else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Red Hat") != -1) OS="redhat";
        else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Fedora") != -1) OS="fedora";
        else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("SUSE") != -1) OS="suse";
        else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Gentoo") != -1) OS="gentoo";
        else OS="linux";
   }
   if (navigator.platform.indexOf("freebsd") != -1) OS="freebsd";
   if (navigator.platform.indexOf("FreeBSD") != -1) OS="freebsd";
   if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("iPad") != -1  || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("iPhone") != -1 || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("iPod") != -1) OS ="ios";

$('#downloadDetails').html("Version " + latestVersion + "  •  " + eval(OS+"Details.name") + "  •  " + eval(OS+"Details.size"));
   $('#downloadButton').attr('href',eval(OS+"Details.location"))
});

Which is obviously not exceedingly complex code. Does it handle ever corner case? No, but that is why they do provide a link to download other systems and versions. But otherwise it only displays the link to the appropriate version, and is something we should likely consider for future versions of the website, assuming I or someone else ever gets around to submitting mockups and code to you for it:)

Seablade

all issues solved, thanks to Harrison Mixbus support !

btw:

WTF – 32 bit Plugin support only ? … Ardour sucks then… its 2012/ 2013