SSD for Audio Recording

How fast should an external SSD be for audio applications (Ardor)?
Is something like this in a suitable housing enough?

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_wd-blue-sa510-wds100t3b0a-ssd-1-tb-ssd-sata-6-gbps-25-zoll-intern-2813150.html

Or rather
https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_crucial-p3-plus-ssd-intern-2000-gb-ssd-m2-via-pcie-intern-2817722.html

You’ll be so happy with it.

edit: internal, though.

Which one of them?

20 Charakter

If you can get an M2 internal drive (the Crucial one above), you’ll be very happy. It is night and day.

It’s been said that it’s faster than you truly need with Ardour.

I usually hit the limit of audio because of the cpu bottleneck, and not because of the ssd. I would go with #2 because of the larger size. More room for vst’s, instruments, and audio recordings. I have not used a pci-e ssd before though.

If you are coming from a 5400rpm, 7200rpm or other platter hard disk, you will be amazed at the increase!

I think a bigger performance concern than SSD speed would be how you are planning to attach the enclosure and what type of audio interface you are using. If the enclosure and interface are both attached via USB and are competing for priority on the same bus in low latency situations, you could perhaps experience more frequent xruns. If low latency isn’t needed, and you can increase the buffer size to a high setting, this likely won’t be an issue assuming you are connecting things to USB3 ports.

2 Likes

Ok Thanks a lot. Can be closed.

@GuntherT:
In this respect, it is important for me to try to keep the internal HD so slim that there

1. the MacOS
    2.) the sample libraries
    3.) the current Ardor project
    find space.

If in doubt, it is better to outsource the sample libraries, as they probably take up more space overall and secondly, not all of them are always used and thirdly, when used, they find space in the RAM. Or am I wrong?

That seems to be a good approach. I was under the impression you were going to use an external SSD for Ardour sessions, meaning your system would be writing to it while recording. If it is going to be housing sample libraries and sessions are being written to the internal drive, I think your assumptions about them mostly sitting idle and being loaded into RAM when needed are likely correct, and that setup is unlikely to cause the performance issues I was describing.

1 Like

I had the sample libs (and some finished tracks) on an external USB2(!) HDD(!) years ago and even that worked good enough for live performance. Speed requirements for that use case are really low. Speed and parallel throughput are primarily important if you’re mastering or recording in realtime.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.