Song/Video “Simple Down” by Lorin Klugman

This is a song I recorded with Ardour, released 09/18/22.

Simple Down

I peruse many forums who are frequented by folks just starting off recording and/or mixing/mastering music. This post is intended for those folks.

Sample rates, file formats and Radio stations

I created a master track with Ardour’s export preset “Soundcloud and Spotify: normalize loudness, limit peak, WAV, 16-bit”. I changed the sampling rate to 44.1 kHz.

I’ve gone back and forth as to which sampling rate to use. The decision to go with 44.1 kHz came down to file size. Most radio stations who play independent artists want you to email an audio file along, with some type of cover art. With all performing arts you have to submit to many venues before getting even one acceptance. In other words, it’s likely you will find yourself sending lots of emails with lots audio file attachments. For me, 44.1 kHz was more economical than 48000 kHz.

Most of the radio stations also require the audio file in mp3 format. Stations may also require custom meta-data in the mp3 file. I use ffmpeg to convert to mp3 format and provide custom meta-data.

I’ve already gotten radio airplay for “Simple Down”. Thus, I can verify the above settings work.

Music Parts - Ardour tracks and buses

The music parts of “Simple Down” are guitar, bass, vocal and drums.

The drums are synthesized using an Ardour midi tracking hosting the LSP Multi-Sampler x12 Stereo plugin . The guitar was plugged into a Fender Champion 50xl digital amplifier. The digital amplifier headphone output is plugged in to my computer’s audio interface. The bass is plugged directly in to my computer’s audio interface. The vocals are recorded using a Cardioid Condenser Microphone plugged in to my computer’s audio interface.

Here is how I structured my Ardour tracks and busses for the song “Simple Down”.

Bass – one mono track.
Lead vocals – 3 mono tracks output to a stereo bus.
Vocal harmonies – 3 mono tracks output to a stereo bus.
Guitars – There are 5 different guitar parts, each part is setup the same way. 2 mono tracks output to a stereo bus.

Drum Kit – I use one stereo bus to capture all drums and cymbals (AKA Drum kit). I grouped the individual drums and cymbals based on their percussive role.
Kick Drums – 2 mono tracks output to a stereo bus.
Snare Drums – 3 mono tracks output to a stereo bus.
Tom Drum – 1 mono track
Ride and Crash Cymbal – 2 mono tracks output to a stereo bus.
Hi Hat Cymbals – 4 mono tracks output to a stereo bus.

The kick drum bus, the snare drum bus, the tom mono track, the ride-crash bus and the hi hat bus are all output to the Drum Kit bus.

The following are routed to the Ardour master bus: Bass track, lead vocal bus, harmony vocal bus, 5 guitar part buses, Drum kit bus.

My website Punch-Up Song: Simple Down contains a detailed list of plugins used for “Simple Down”.

For those starting out, hopefully this post helps a little.

All feedback welcome,
Lorin
punch-up.art