Some LXVST plugins not working in Ardour 6.5.0

… And we did it! :partying_face:

I deleted all the LinVst .so files related to the preconverted, not working plugins inside /usr/local/lib/vst path (where preconverted Windows VSTs are placed by default in AV Linux) and did a rescan on Ardour…

… Which led to make these plugins work PERFECTLY in Ardour!!!

Anyway, going really off-topic - as I know this might have nothing to do with Ardour - during my tests, I also converted some Windows VSTs to LinVST on my own and find out that these have serious graphical issues…

As an example, in the following picture I show the famous Ronald Passion’s Bass Preamp working in Ardour.
As can be seen, the graphical interface of the plugin is completely messed up as it is covered with blue and white geometric figures…

I also tried to use the plugin with CARLA (both the Windows .dll and the converted LinVst version .so) and the result is just the same…

I also noticed that I can remove the waves clicking on the top right of the plugin window, where, under the blue figure, there’s a clickable label saying: “by ronaldpassion etc…”, which switches the view of the plugin window. Then, when I switch back to the main view, the waves are gone. Unfortunately, this method is neither handy nor always applicable…

Can anybody help me with that?

Sorry for the off-topic help request, please let me know if I have to create a new topic for that or if I just have to remove it due to the fact Ardour really doesn’t play any role in that issue… Though I just tried to post it in LinuxMusicians, but got no answers =(

Glad you got the LinVST stuff working!

Honestly, it is hit or miss whether a Windows VST will run via wine-staging and LinVST. My recommendation is to move entirely to native Linux plugins as much as you are able. Your alternative, as @x42 mentioned, is to just run Ardour in Windows and you could use all these VSTs to your heart’s content.

You might just have to be patient as you only posted yesterday. It is the same in most forums.

1 Like

I’ll be so!! Let’s hope for the best!
Although it’s a bit weird for me… I’m also using an old version of AV Linux on another PC of mine and there all the Windows VST plugins I converted work perfectly!

My guess is the older version of AVL you are referring to has both an older version of LinVST and of Wine-Staging… Like @anon60445789 has said LinVST and Wine-Staging are a constantly spinning Roulette wheel, new updated versions of Wine-Staging or LinVST can make new Plugins work and old ones stop working… As the maintainer of AVL-MXE I have no control over this, all I can do is provide the most recent versions on the ISO and hope for the best. In my own experience I used to really like the ‘Camel Crusher’ WindowsVST and it stopped working a year or so ago and hasn’t worked for me since… I understand the appeal of keeping some of your favourite Windows VST’s working and carrying them over from Windows but the ability to do this should be looked at as icing on the cake, not the main way to use a Linux DAW…

2 Likes

I perfectly understand… In fact, I was just wondering why those wine errors during VST plugins scanning appeared in Ardour. Personally I use Windows VST plugins as little as possible, usually I use them to obtain some sounds I like for my instruments, for example with Amplitube Windows VST plugin.

Anyway, I would really like to thank you all for all the awesome stuff you’re creating for the musicians/producers/music lovers etc… who whish to work with Linux and FOSS systems in general. I (and I bet we) really appreciate! Thank you very very much!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.