[SOLVED] Migrating from Jack to...?

Not Ardour-specific, but heard most here… I’ve seen lots of talk about how “we don’t need Jack anymore”. To the quick: is there some sort of guide or doc which would help a person switch (or revert) from Jack to whatever native Linux sound system?

I got everything working well enough between pulseaudio and jack and ardour and everything else several years ago, and I don’t really want to invest too much time or frustration in trying to convert to something else. I’m old, worked in IT for 20 years, and so reeeealy like a nice plan, with a good fallback plan.

Of course, if the general thought is “if you are comfortable with Jack, stay there; newbies, instead, follow this route”, then let me know! For whom it matters, I’m running with Ubuntu Studio 20.04.

Thank you all!

1 Like

Of course, if the general thought is “if you are comfortable with Jack, stay there; newbies, instead, follow this route”, then let me know!

Yep.

Nothing saying to never use Jack, just that as ti is more confusing for many people it is better for most people to usa ALSA. If you are comfortable with Jack and it works for you, keep using it.

Seablade

3 Likes

The native ALSA backend for Ardour is exclusive, meaning when using Ardour you are only using Ardour, no PulseAudio sharing audio from other applications. If you want to be able to hear audio from other applications then stick with jackd, possibly consider moving to PipeWire in a year or so as it matures as a replacement for a combination of jackd and pulse-sink. I don’t think PipeWire is going to have anything that improves on the jackd behavior specifically, but should be an improvement over PulseAudio using jackd as the backend.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies! I’ll stick with Jack!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.