[Solved-ish] Quick dumb question: can I change the status bar colours?

The dark green on black in the status bar is kinda hard to see in some lighting conditions, but I can’t seem to find where to change that!

Hi! As I know there’s no possibility to change it. Few years ago I’ve made some “total gray” theme for testing, and that shown the unchanged areas in the UI of Ardour.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3wLXUcKN8LAY21wS1dmSlFfTEk/view

More information here:

But, maybe the latest development of Ardour had changed this feature…

The foreground color “green” (or “red” depending on status) is hardcoded. It is not possible to change those (at least not without changing the source and re-compiling).

The background color is defined in a gtk-rc. /opt/Ardour-5.12.0/etc/clearlooks.rc (on Linux, for Ardour from ardour.org) has a style style "status_bar_box" { ... }, you can perhaps try to use a bright background:

style "status_bar_box"
{
        bg[NORMAL] = { 0.7, 0.7, 0.7 }
}

Thanks! That’s better than nothing, I guess. I played around a bit in midday light with my blinds open, and a lighter background does help with the glare. Obviously this is a fairly minor issue, and largely my own fault for having my screen too close to a window, but I don’t really feel like rearranging all my furniture right now. :wink:

(This was an issue for me mostly because, like I think I’ve said in other threads before, I’m fairly new to Ardour and recently I’ve been trying out and comparing various plugins for use with future projects. And that includes keeping a close eye on DSP usage…)