[Solved] Help with defective gtk profile, please

Hi all,

on Arch Linux with Gnome 46 I have weird errors when trying to start ardour8 - have a look:

[wjl@handa-6-arch ~]$ ardour8
WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs
out of memory. You can view the memory limit with ‘ulimit -l’, and it
is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

Ardour8.6.0 (built using 8.6 and GCC version 13.2.1 20230801)
Ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to 524288 open files
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /etc/ardour8/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/wjl/.config/ardour8/config
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: AuthenticAMD
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX with FMA capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics
Ardour: [INFO]: Using AVX and FMA optimized routines
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /usr/share/ardour8/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin statistics file /home/wjl/.config/ardour8/plugin_metadata/plugin_stats
Ardour: [INFO]: add_lrdf_data ‘/home/wjl/.config/ardour8/rdf:/usr/share/ardour8/rdf:/usr/local/share/ladspa/rdf:/usr/share/ladspa/rdf’
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file ‘file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/ladspa.rdfs’
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file ‘file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/tap-plugins.rdf’
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file ‘file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/tap_reverb.rdf’
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file ‘file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/ladspa-rubberband.rdf’
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file ‘file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/swh-aux.rdf’
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file ‘file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/swh-plugins.rdf’
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file ‘file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/swh-scales.rdf’
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file ‘file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/caps.rdf’
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /etc/ardour8/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/wjl/.config/ardour8/ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 459 MIDI patches from /usr/share/ardour8/patchfiles

(ardour-8.6.0:3594): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 07:21:06.921: cannot register existing type ‘GtkObject’

(ardour-8.6.0:3594): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 07:21:06.921: g_type_register_static: assertion ‘parent_type > 0’ failed

(ardour-8.6.0:3594): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 07:21:06.921: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion ‘G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)’ failed

(ardour-8.6.0:3594): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 07:21:06.921: cannot register existing type ‘GtkBuildable’

(ardour-8.6.0:3594): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 07:21:06.921: g_type_interface_add_prerequisite: assertion ‘G_TYPE_IS_INTERFACE (interface_type)’ failed

(ardour-8.6.0:3594): GLib-CRITICAL **: 07:21:06.921: g_once_init_leave: assertion ‘result != 0’ failed

(ardour-8.6.0:3594): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 07:21:06.921: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion ‘G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)’ failed

(ardour-8.6.0:3594): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 07:21:06.921: g_type_register_static: assertion ‘parent_type > 0’ failed
^C
[wjl@handa-6-arch ~]$

Must have to do with my profile, because a test user I’d set up on the same system could start ardour without these GLib critical errors. Searching the interweb didn’t help much, so what (I guess in my .config) should I delete to get that sorted? It’s not the ardour (7, 8, and so on) folders…

Thanks for any tip,
and cheers,
Wolfgang

Try renaming /home/wjl/.config/ardour8/ui_config to /home/wjl/.config/ardour8/ui_config.bak (and optionally /etc/ardour8/default_ui_config to /etc/ardour8/default_ui_config.bak) and check if that helps.

1 Like

Thanks Peder, but that didn’t help. I had deleted the ardour folders in my .config/ directory already, but not messed with the ones in /etc so far. Still the same errors with both renamed to .bak…

Edit: it has to be Gnome-related; under KDE Ardour starts just fine…

Solved with deleting / moving away my ~/.config/dconf/* and then logging out and in again - now I can again start Ardour in Gnome. Thanks everyone.

Ardour (from Download Ardour | Ardour Community) does not care about dconf or local gtk installation. This issue must be specific to how your distro compiles it.

Then again, the information you provide may still be useful for other users that also have a custom 3rd party build. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.