Soloing Aux returns

Hi, I’ve recently switched from mixing 'out of the box using a 16-8-2 console and outboard processing, to attempting to mix in the box, and I’ve quickly run into a problem.

I cannot easily solo my aux return busses(eg verbs, delays). Soloing a buss produces no sound at all until I solo a track sending to that buss, which also gives me the dry signal from that track, which is exactly what I don’t want to hear. I only need to hear what’s happening on the buss(from all sends). So if that buss has a stereo verb on it, then what I’m listening for is: “what does the mix passing through that verb sound like?” etc.

Soloing returns is something I’ve grown accustomed to being able to do as part of my mix process.

The workaround I’ve found is to pull faders down, and have the sends pre-fader, which is much less than ideal and fairly time consuming; further distracting me from the task of focusing on listening to the mix.

Am I doing something wrong? If not, are there any intrepid coders out there willing to fix this?

Sincerely,
Jesse

Use the monitor section and switch the soloing mode from SIP to AFL and you should see the behavior you are expecting on the busses.

@projectMalamute

Thanks!

I’ve had exactly the same question as the OP for quite some time now, until now I haven’t used the monitor section so I’ll check that out as well…

Awesome! Thank you so much.

So when I am soloing an AUX, for example a reverb, that is fed by MULTIPLE tracks AFL… How can I now Solo ONLY the Signal from one of these Tracks at the end of the Bus? Do I have to Mute all the other Tracks feeding into that bus?

Or is it per default expected to use a Subgroup Bus and route the channels in there instead of the master?

Your first guess is correct.

If you solo the bus, the assumption on our part is the you want to hear ONLY the tracks feeding the bus. If you want to hear less than that, you need to do that yourself by muting some of the inputs.