Just reposted a mix with your comments on the same link. it really does sound a lot better now - t’was a tremendous learning for me, to go through this process -so thanks again for your time!
The changes are as follows
I took it through the calf de-esser -I watched a few videos on youtube on what de-essers are and how to use them, started listening to the vocal track in a new way so to speak as in I started noticing the Ps/Ss and other bits a lot more! I haven’t had a chance to redo the vocals yet; will need to plan for that,m but hopefully most of the sibilant hiss is now gone.
i suppressed the double breaths, but the ‘spooken’ bit have left it alone- it was sung that way so dont want to really dice it, also left the other breaths in the rest of the song alone…it sounded natural. So will have to take it into account when i redo the vocals. For now raised the vocal levels ever so slightly in the mix to bring them in front.
Took them through the calf reverb - they do “fit” more in the track now in their own space and come through the mix more clearly
Cleaned them, sometimes by borrowing portions of regions from other areas and overlaying just on that spot where it wasn’t possible to remove them without destroying that portion of the track!
reduced the levels and also passed it through the SR2B - seems to make it “sit” a lot better without crowding the entire mix. Also watched the video you sent, very interesting!
I have a view that the bass setup also plays a part in the notes sounding more louder in some parts of the bass than others, I reduced it by minor adjustments in the intonation/string heights to make the overall intonation more accurate and checking against a strobe tuner/ my ears across the entire fretboard to see if the notes played were more accurate by the cent. Interestingly as the setup became more accurate, the notes also “sat” more comfortably on the fretboard in terms of the feel under my fingers and sounded more balanced neediing less EQing ultimately. An issue also was that a mistake in the lower B (which was rather difficult to intonate) would affect the E and the A (Even if they were correctly setup). Also to check, ran it directly into the mixer so that the any mistakes came out upfront rather than into an amp first which tends to be more forgiving of intonation mistakes.
In any case hopefully now the bass sounds better. Avoided the sidechain - read an article that it should be used only where needed - it seemed to make more sense to manually adjust the bass levels here for the bits where the bass drum was not clear rather than run the entire bass drum through a sidechain compressor into the bass when it now seemed to sound more or less ok.
Amp noise at the end- strangely, there was noise in the soundcloud playback but but i couldn’t hear anything in the original mix in ardour or on the tracks in solo. In any case, I reduced the gain at the end of the electric guitar track and then checked the output FLAC to see if it was gone…looks like something in the conversion process was amplifying the hum in the guitar track for whatever reason. In any case it’s now gone.
Reverb on snare
I noticed that in hydrogen the decay was set to full for the instrument, but the resonance parameter was set on bypass, so made it active and raised that a bit. I can hear the difference in the original mix (32 bit float), but not so much in the Flac file which was produced during export (24 bit) which is strange as I wouldn’t have expected to hear that much of a difference between the two. But with the reduction of the bass, the other instruments do sound more “present” and so does the snare, so overall it does sound better.
A few other tweaks here and there as well, as I listened to the track again - I kept the midi bass section of the orchestra for the introduction (this is panned to the right side of the track while the 7 string electric bass is panned centre with the kick drum) but took it out once the vocal started as it was really not necessary any more - the tracks sounded clearer without it, and the 7 string was doing enough for the mix in any case.