Skip range in playback?

I couldn’t find this in the manual or through Google searches. Sometimes when you select a time range, you want to play back with that time range excluded, e.g., to preview an edit before actually making the edit. Is there any way to skip over a time range in playback? I know I can do the opposite (play just the range, or audition it using the a key in Ardour 6).

Example use case: if I’m editing dialogue, for example, and want to cut out a short passage and preview the edit to make sure it still sounds natural, it would be helpful to be able to do that so I don’t have to make the cut, listen, undo, and refine.

Short version is I do not believe that exists in Ardour today. Funnily it does exist in TracksLive which is based off Ardour, so I could be wrong, but I don’t think it does.

I always got used to edit, then modify borders of regions made by the edit for dialog and similar editing, not sure i would ever used a skip even if it was there personally.

Yes, that’s what I’ve always done, but Reaper has this feature (option-spacebar to play while skipping over a time selection) and I found it useful in previewing edits when doing some work in Reaper recently. Not a deal-breaker by any means of course, I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.