Simple chord progression Lua action script

Hello everybody. I am a long time user, not posting much here.

I wrote a simple chord progression generator Lua action. It is available here: #ChordProgression.

This script will generate chord progressions with inversions in each of the selected midi regions. It has a number of configuration options as described in the readme file. Chords for the progression are defined as location markers.

Comments are welcome!

4 Likes

Dude thank you for this, I may use this for the project I am working on: GitHub - jmantra/LogicalArdour: Gives Ardour functionality like Garageband/Logic

I have read the readme.md, seems pretty complicated for a beginner like me. It would be great if you could put some screenshots here. Not of the installation, but an actual example. That would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I am working on the updated version of the script and will add more detailed instructions on how to use it with examples.

This is cool! Thank you! I did put ‘.CMaj7’ instead of ‘.Cmaj7’. ‘.CMaj7’ was not recognized, and caused the script to crash.

Does Lua allow an easy method for upper / lower case conversion to NOT cause an issue? Just a suggestion to help make it as solid as it can be.

Also Does LUA and Ardour allow an display window to show which chords are accepted by the script? I know one could view the script and read what chords are available, but maybe a simple graphic with a Circle of Fifths, just to add a nice touch?

This adds a nice functionality to Ardour as it is!

Thanks again!

You are absolutely correct, the error handling leaves lots to be desired. In the new version this will be addressed.

I will make it ignore case when checking for the implemented chords and also ignore those that cannot be processed.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks a lot, this tool could be very usefull. With jjazzlab you can do the same but you can not put a chord between normal beats or fractions of a beats. With this tools you can put the chord just anywhere on the timeline.
Best Regards
Jean

New version v0.0.2 released.

Updated inversion selection algorithm. Added arpeggios and config dialog. Better error handling. Updated instructions.

ChordProgression on GitHub

2 Likes