silent playback and no stereo recording using tascam preamp

Howdy,

I’m running 2.7.1 in ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope, trying to record using a tascam US-122 preamp via USB connection. For reasons I can’t figure, I am able to record, but it appears that although I use a stereo track, ardour records in mono (only the left hand level meter in the mixer registers a signal), and more importantly, I am unable to hear anything upon playback, although something has obviously been recorded.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks joegiampaoli, much appreciated. It was a level dial on the preamp that I was ignoring (used to just going straight into my comp.).

The preamp has mic in left and mic in right inputs. Do you know if there would be anyway to get stereo sound in ardour even though I’m only going in through one of these inputs?

thanks again!

Maybe check the inputs of your STEREO track, one should be something like System:Capture_1 and the other System:Capture_2
If you can’t hear anything that has been recorded check your monitoring source, maybe something you have to fiddle in your Tascam USB Interface, maybe a knob or switch that balances an output mix?

Apologies for the amature question, but I’m still new and wrapping my head around much of this. If I’m recording a mono track (audio one), but when I export am sending audio one out-1 through left, and audio one out-2 through right, is this creating a stereo export file?

thanks!

If you only record through one input into a stereo track, what you will actually get is a dual mono (or split mono) track, pretty much like a fake stereo, what you will actually get is the exact same sound on both channels, not like stereo, that you can really hear a spacialization. This is really unnecessary since all it will do is just copy the same sound to another channel, duplicating your track (file) size. The only way to get a true stereo track is first creating a stereo track, then make sure you are recording both different channels from your Tascam, but then again… it also depends what you are recording, some instruments benefit from this such as drums with overheads, keyboards with spiffy effects, or other effects such as dual panning delays and such. It’s just a matter of test and taste, you have to fool around and see what instruments or effects sound better to you in mono and stereo. There is no way to convert a mono source into a true stereo track, just split mono, so bouncing effects and things like that from one channel to another will not be noticeable, only on a true stereo track…

Hope that explains.

Just some tips, because it’s not always necessary to do all in stereo:

Drums or drum machine with different mics like overheads, kicks snare… should be stereo if its a plugin or program wit stereo outs, if not, then mono for each mic, that way you play with its position in the mix.

Guitars, depends, mostly mono, sometimes you have amp with two mics, one dynamic and other condenser, you can mix both mics to one mono track, or each to different mono tracks, and level your mics to the sound you want. If guitar is stereo, like two amps or FX board with stereo outs, might benefit mostly with stereo effects. Some acoustic guitars sound cool in stereo. But try to record guitar in mono as mostly as possible.

Voice can be mono or stereo.

Bass should be mono

Keyboards like guitar can be mono or stereo, depending on effects.

The thing is don’t overdo in stereo, you have to have a balance of things in space.

upkelk, your comment has been removed because it looks like forum spam. do not attach unrelated links to your posts.