Silencing a part of an audio track

I have a vocal track recorded that has an error on it. How do I silence the part with the error once it is selected?

Cut ? Ctrl-x (Linux/Windows) or Cmd-x (OS X) ?

Thanks for your reply! If I cut out the word, the track will be slightly off. I was looking for a way to silence the word so the rest of the vocals will still be lined up. I am using os x

I was using audacity, found out about ardour and began using it because it cleared up my latency issues, and I loved the layout and routing options. I tried exporting the track to edit in audacity, but after importing back into ardour the track sounded crackly, and squeaky. I have since found out that every time I import any pre recorded tracks they sound that way. To get around this I have been recording my pre recorded tracks again through my interface into ardour.

Cutting out bad bits is easy in Ardour. If your separated fragments of vocal are moving on the time scale, you’re doing something wrong, like using the wrong edit mode. It should be “slide” edit more, I think, not “ripple” mode which will close up the gap when you delete something.

You certainly don’t want to be copying to Audacity to do that kind of edit in Ardour!
(though I don’t know why the sound changes when you do that: that’s another problem)

Cut does not move any other material (unless you have changed into Ripple mode for editing). All existing material will be in exactly the same place.

Thank you both soo much! I appreciate it : ) I’ll check to see what mode I am in.

Another solution to this problem is per-region volume automation (created using the pen and internal edit tools). It’s easy to lower the volume of any (short, typically) undesirable elements by setting the volume for the segment to -inf dB. The other nice thing about using the volume automation is that you can smoothly fade in and out of cuts with ease, and also, you don’t have to cut something completely. For example, if you have a very loud breath in a vocal, you can just lower the level without loosing the breath entirely.

That’s true, but you can fade in and out of the cut when cutting regions too. The trouble with automation is once you are using it, you have to set it up for the whole track. But it’s good that automation is there for when you need a more tailored profile.

@anahata: I wasn’t thinking of track-level automation – I was thinking of the per-region volume automation that is available for audio regions. It doesn’t require you to lose manual control over the track fader, which is nice.

But yes, having to automate a whole track for simple one time changes is generally irritating.

@adotm - good point - I hadn’t thought of that. The region automation is a little more accessible. I use it to raise and lower the level for a whole region, but hadn’t considered drawing in an automation graph on it, especially for cutting out unwanted noises.

@anahata: I’ve been using it a lot lately on vocal tracks to do things like end sustained notes earlier, lower the level of certain breaths, raise the level of certain words, and so on. It’s really useful.

I’ve been using it a lot today for similar things :-). The draw interface for the region gain seems easier to use than the track automation - it’s surprising that they are so different for similar functions in the same program. Maybe historical reasons.