Set output and input properly in Ardour using Jack

Hi, I need help with Ardour.
I’ve installed Ardour in linux mint and I’ve installed also jack, or also called QjackCtl.
I’m a beginner and I can’t figure out how to manage input and output.
My purpose is to record on a backing track that I’ve imported, an instrument recorded with my Zoom H2 microphone.
I’ve connected my microphone by usb, using it as i/o device.
The problem is that I want to listen the backing track and my instrument coming out from my pc. However, no matter what I do, the audio is coming out from the mic’s phone output.
Can someone help me, please?

I will copy in advice that Paul has posted previously, it may help:
run this command in a terminal window: cd /tmp && wget http://jackaudio.org/downloads/adevices.sh && bash ./adevices.sh
Then paste the output. The command will not modify your system, but will show us all your audio interface hardware and what software is using which interfaces.

If all devices are shown as “closed” then Ardour should be able to open any device. Perhaps it will show “used by: pulseaudio” on the same device you are trying to use with Ardour, or perhaps something else.

I tried the configuration stewe wants. Zoom H2 as input and laptop soundcard as output as i described before and it works, But of course what vasakq is a solution also. @stewe: I you want to know more about music with linux, look at www.penguinproducer.com and there for the manuals or the tutorials

I have Ardour 5.12.0 running under Linux. All was well using ALSA for all sound IO. As in I created some projects and ran those and audio worked very well.
I quit out of Ardour5 and launched Audacity (in order to generate some tones). (No hissing please)
On launching Audacity, I got some error messages related to Pulse Audio.
I launched the pulseaudio daemon, and audacity still had issues.
I quit out of Audacity and re-launched Ardour.
Now, I get ALSA IO Error pop-ups when starting the Audio Engine. Even through full shutdown and restarts.
I cannot determine where Audacity may have ‘tendrilated’ changes to anything in Alsa.
I also ran ‘alsactl -nrestore’, and no joy still.
So, now I have apparently hosed ALSA somehow and Ardour is very upset!
Thoughts on any additional things to restore the peace?
Does Ardour require the pulseaudio dameon to be running?
And if it does not require pulseaudio, does pulseaudio interfere with Ardour and Alsa?
Note: I have turned off pulseaudio and stopped its incessant ‘respawn’ as well. Still … no joy.
Any help would be appreciated.

However, no matter what I do, the audio is coming out from the mic's phone output.

That is exactly the right way to do things in Ardour. The Zoom H2 serves as an audio interface in this case. Once you have recorded all your tracks, you can disconnect H2 and edit/mix your music using PC’s built in audio if you so choose. A lot of us tried using separate input and output devices with Ardour before… with poor results at best.

@stewe: reason or not, If you want different input and output devices, open OjackCtl. Goto click Configuration and then Advanced. On the right part of the window you see Outputdevice and Inputdevice. Click on the “pull down” arrow of the Inputdevice. You’ll see a list of devices, eg. hw:PCH HDA Intel PCH(internal soundcard of my laptop) and with a Zoom H2 you’ll see hw:H2 H2 (hw…). Choose hw:H2 H2 (hw…) as Input. Do the same with the outputdevice but choose your pc soundcard as output. Confirm with ok. To test if it works, start a measure device like Meterbridge(if needed install it with synaptic). In OjackCtl open Connections and connect system:capture1/2 with bridge:meter1/2. If you speak in the Zoom you should see an amplitude in the Meterbridge. For the latency compensation you need in ardour use the command line tool jack_iodelay. But for that try youtube and “jackd”. Btw: my tool for jack is gladish
I hope i could help

@stewe: there is no reason for you to be using JACK. Just use Ardour’s own ALSA audio/MIDI backend. Forget JACK until you need it, which may never happen. It isn’t that complicated, but it does add complexities that (even if they represent real power and flexibility) are not really central to most users’ needs.

That said, the one case where JACK is needed is when you want to use separate devices for input and output. However, this is something that you should really never do. People think it should be easy and normal, because thngs like USB microphones have become very common (and cheap). But this is not the correct way to work with pro-audio and music creation stuff. You should have a proper (single) audio interface that does both input and output.

If you insist on using two devices, you will have to grapple with the complexities of doing this within JACK. I recommend that you find another way to work.

Hi, maybe you’ll like to start here (since Ardour is now in the .5 stage, basics are almost the same)
http://libremusicproduction.com/tutorials/recording-audio-and-using-midi-ardour-3
there’s a lot of useful material in this site, HTH