Session file crashes Ardour (or just won't open)

Hello, this is my first post and I need help, if someone has the time to check the issue.

One of my sessions can’t load, any attempt to do so crashes Ardour. I noticed it first disappeared from the recent files list and then I discovered I cannot open it.
Meanwhile I updated Ardour to 6.9.0 and deleted the config file. Now the software doesn’t crash but just ignores the session file.

Maybe of some importance, one day I changed the JACK sample rate from 44100 to 48000 and then back again, just testing something. I noticed this problem only after that.

I can upload or send the session file (dunno how to upload here, though, only images allowed?) and anything else from the project folder if someone would like to take a look…

And if anyone has any idea, I would appreciate the effort :slight_smile:

Thanks!

My spec:
Operating System: KDE neon 5.22
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.85.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 5.11.0-25-lowlatency (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2

There is a page on ardour.org with information on collecting detailed debug information, but as a start you can start Ardour from a terminal and copy and paste any error messages, that might give starting information.

Debugging Ardour

Thanks for the info!
When I start Ardour first from a terminal and then try to open the problematic session file, it just quits without any message in the terminal.
But I managed to find out how to directly start the file with ardour in the terminal and then I get this text:

Ardour6.9.0 (built using 6.9 and GCC version 6.3.0 20170516)
Ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to 1048576 open files
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-6.9.0/etc/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user configuration file /home/bojan/.config/ardour6/config
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX with FMA capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Ardour: [INFO]: Using AVX and FMA optimized routines
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /opt/Ardour-6.9.0/share/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin statistics file /home/bojan/.config/ardour6/plugin_metadata/plugin_stats
Cannot xinstall SIGPIPE error handler
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-6.9.0/etc/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/bojan/.config/ardour6/ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 452 MIDI patches from /opt/Ardour-6.9.0/share/patchfiles
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “appmenu-gtk-moduleimary-button-warps-slider”
/home/bojan/.gtkrc-2.0:10: error: unexpected character ‘=’, expected keyword - e.g. style' Ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /opt/Ardour-6.9.0/share/themes/dark-ardour.colors Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-moduleimary-button-warps-slider" /home/bojan/.gtkrc-2.0:10: error: unexpected character '=', expected keyword - e.g. style’
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-6.9.0/etc/clearlooks.rc
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “appmenu-gtk-moduleimary-button-warps-slider”
/home/bojan/.gtkrc-2.0:10: error: unexpected character ‘=’, expected keyword - e.g. `style’
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading bindings from /opt/Ardour-6.9.0/etc/ardour.keys
Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-6.9.0/etc/clearlooks.rc
Found nothing along /home/bojan/.config/ardour6/templates:/opt/Ardour-6.9.0/share/templates

Ardour just opens the dialog window for making a new session or opening an existing one, ignoring the session file that run it.
I have no idea if there’s any useful info in the terminal text, if someone has the time, take a look please, would help me a lot!

Try to move that file out of the way.

See also 0005605: Hangs while starting at loading UI config files - Ardour Bug Tracker

Can you elaborate what you mean with “ignoring the session file that run it.”

Tried just now, it just doesn’t report those errors, still ignores the session file

Yes, I configured the .ardour files to start with ardour in terminal. When I start that session file by double clicking it, Ardour opens and terminal text appears, but Ardour doesn’t open the session file. Just the dialog window for opening / creating new sessions opens, it’s just like I started Ardour by klicking it’s desktop icon.

Hope it makes some sense

Important to note, Ardour works with other sessions normally, as far as I can tell

Does it work when you start Arodur and then select the session using Ardour’s recent-session or session-open dialog?

When I start Ardour the session is gone from the recent-session list (!) and when I browse and find it, point to it and open, Ardour just disapears without a message in the terminal.

That sounds like there is indeed a crash, except there would be a message!

Try start Ardour in a debugger:

Ardour6 --gdb

Then in gdb type run and press enter. Open the session and when ardour crashes, type: bt (and press enter), to get a backtrace where ardour hangs or crashes.

see also Debugging Ardour.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.